Options

vpn

granaetgranaet Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

On the 'server' we have XP professional with ICS. Clients can use internet and the printer which is connected to this server.
After I configured ICS I configured the VPN server.

From home I am able to make a VPN connection (it accepts my username/password), but I am NOT able to connect to the share (on that server).

Any idea ?
greetings from Zoetermeer (the Neterlands)

Comments

• Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    do you have the same workgroup on both sides? or have you route your client to your network? local security setting?
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What IP address is the VPN connection using? I have never setup a VPN using XP as the server, but when using a 2000 or 2003 server, you need to either configure RRAS to use the networks DHCP or configure a pool of IP addresses for the incoming clients.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    granaetgranaet Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Both sides have NOT the same Workgroup name, this is not an issue because one should be able to make a VPN from one domain/workgroup to another.

Windows XP can be a VPN server (see article by Thomas Shindler: Configure Windows XP Professional to be a VPN server).

I have to admit that useing win2k3 is better but there is not enough budget to do so.

After configuring ICS (according to articles on Technet) the server is 192.168.0.1 When installing ICS there is a very simple combination of DNS, DHCP and NAT. These 'services' can (almost not) be configured except some tiny details which can be modified in the registry. Indeed, ICS is not a great sollution, but it is shiped with XP professional (and I have to use it)

The remark of local security settings is interesting. Within ICS one creates user accounts. These should be allowed to logon on the server or even on the clients on the LAN. It is possible that the credentials are not correct. I will focus on this.

Remarkeble is that when I try to make a VPN connection from a win2k3 server to the XP VPN server, there is a 409 ID in the DNS event log of the win2k3 server. The DNS server on the win2k3 side has problems with listening to addresses comming from the XP machine.
    I did find out that on the XP VPN server there is a possibility to configure the use of IP addresses for the VPN connection. I will report my findings.

greetz
    greetings from Zoetermeer (the Neterlands)