Options

Computer Powers on When Plugged In

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
First time I have seen this and can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Basically, I plug the computer in and it powers right up (fans spin, hard drive starts), but nothing comes up on the screen. Any ideas on what the problem is?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    There is a BIOS setting that controls the behavior when AC power is lost to the unit. Try looking under a Power submenu or something like that.

As for nothing coming up, that's unusual. The computer should boot as it normally does when this power setting is enabled.
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where i worked at previously, this happened on a couple models of computers. Does it shutdown and start normally otherwise?

You could also check the BIOS for the setting: "Power state after power failure" and make sure it's set to "Stay off". Also make sure the CMOS battery isn't dead.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    is it a gateway by any chance?
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Swap out the PSU and let us know how it works out.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's the kicker, nothing comes up on the screen at all. No boot up options, BIOS, etc. It's an e-Machine. Turns on, black screen, and nothing else.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Could very well be the PSU. If you have a multimeter, try testing it. I wouldn't trust those little PSU testers that you just plug the connectors into.
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    - power up when power is detected is a BIOS feature
    - no display could be a variety of things, bad cable/card/LCD/BIOSsetting or a toasted motherboard.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would swap video cards.
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    BIOS bug, it is a CMOS setting to power back on after a power failure but the post error registers haven't been cleared. It is the section normally reserved for ECC memory and servers. Someone at the factory responsible for the OEM settings forgot some flags.

I have seen this problem in Asus, Gateway, ECS, and a few other motherboards. Press reset if you have one, hold the power switch in for 4 seconds if you don't. optionally toggle the supply mains switch if you have one. It should clear everything until the next power failure.

If you search the manufacture site for BIOS updates you will probably find a correction in a later revision.

During our monster week of storms here in California my three rackable systems servers here at home turned on after every power failure even though I had taken them off line. They have a flag to boot or not boot besides power or not power up after loss of mains. one is instant, one is 30 sec delay and one is 60 sec delay. I had forgot what other screwy things I did to them but two do not boot on purpose
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO