Options

Network Design Competetion

jeremy8529jeremy8529 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Tech-Exams.net! A group of friends and myself are participating in a high school network design competition, and we want to take it all the way to nationals this year again. (Last year we did it with cyber security) I'd like to know if anyone here would like to do us a great service here in the next couple of months or so, and help evaluate or practice network design case studies. We are looking for someone or several people that would be willing to watch a 10 minute video of three highschool seniors working together to present a network they designed within 20 minutes for a small business. Things to keep in mind, my companions are just now learning CCNA materiel, I myself have gone over security+ quite heavily and am currently going over CCDA and will cover the CCNA before spring, and um, thats about it.

Feel free to reply here or by email to

jeremy8529@hotmail.com

Thanks so much tech-exams.net!

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I'd be interested. I'm skeptical about the design abilites of high schoolers though, lol.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    I'd be interested. I'm skeptical about the design abilites of high schoolers though, lol.
    Can't be any worse than some of the things I've seen implemented though... ;)

Oh and of course, good luck jeremy8529!
  • Options
    ColbyNA wrote: »

Gee your optimisim is most flattering lol, The good news is this, they don't expect us to design any large or medium networks. Most of these set-ups are for small companies. We know enough to put together a basic high level design that is more service orientated than anything else. We also know that putting a web server inside of your network without setting up a DMZ is dangerous. We can ID the client's needs, but what we need the most help on is the actual infrastructure, and the most efficient way to go about it, keeping a 20 minute time limit in mind.
    Such as, "are we better off using standard cat5 UTP with wireless repeaters/AP to bridge the 300 meter distance of the convention center, or would we be better off just simply running a fiber optic line from the main switch to the other side of the convention center and then just ditch all of the repeaters?" Then the question comes up, which routing protocol should I use? EIGRP? It's alot to go over in 20 minutes.
    We are highschool students, we might be ignorant, but we are willing to learn!
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Sounds interesting. I don't know if it's allowed (by your class/school), but if you want to ask questions I'm sure people on here would be willing to offer some guidance.
  • Options
    As far as picking up knowledge its no holds barred. The competition is through FBLA, (Future Business leaders of America) and the competition works by first giving a written exam to every competitor in the state, then, if you place top 10, you and your team are sequestered and given 20 minutes to design a certain network, usually a small business network. Then you have to present it to a panel of four judges from the industry, and they are looking from everything to the logic in the design, to your teams presentation skills and professionalism. The top two teams in the state advance to nationals held in Nashville, TN at the Opry Land convention center this year. Were the process is repeated, but with a different written test and a different case study. We don't know what the case study is going to be about, until we walk into the room with a table, some markers, and an eezle sitting on it. So any help that I get before or after the competition is legitimate.

So I ask, who want's to watch a short video of some high school seniors attempting to solve your small bushiness needs? At least you guys should get some comedic relief out of this!
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd watch it...everyone has a different perspective on things so I'd be interested.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I'm working on the CCNA right now myself and I'd be glad to throw my opinion around too. ;)
  • Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    jeremy8529 wrote: »
    A group of friends and myself are participating in a high school network design competition, and we want to take it all the way to nationals this year again.

jeremy8529, good for you. I'll take a look.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sure, why not. Email me.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll take a look.

Also why not upload to youtube and then just post a link here, it is easier administratively.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Would love to help.

Currently a CCNA working towards CCNP
  • Options
    Wow, I did not expect such a large and positive response from tech exams! We arn't ready just yet, I want my guys to have gone over our CCNA and CCDA books atleast once before we start taking stabs at this, so it might be a month or two before we are ready to go over case studies under test conditions. Tell you what, since you guys were so responsive, we will put together an introduction video just so that we can properly introduce ourselves to the tech exams message board community. :)
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    The CCDA book might be a little over their heads if they are just getting into CCNA right now. Theres a lot of marketing fluff and very high level enterprise design that may be better left unread.

The CCNA will cover a lot, and maybe even some Network+ material to cover the basics like broadcast domains, OSI model, routers vs switches, etc.

I guess it depends on the scale they are aiming for.