Security certification or catch 22?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I've always wanted to pursue a certification in IT security, but it appears the most popular ones such as CISP require you to have experience prior getting certified; on other hand jobs posted for IT security need you to be certified. That's catch 22.

Of course there are less-known IT security certification such as Security+, but maybe you can tell me otherwise.

Comments

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Sec+ is still an excellent foundation for pretty much any infosec course. I'd definitely do it. It should also make breaking into the field enough to gain the experience for the later certs easier.
    Also the vendor specific security certs usually don't require experience, e.g. the CCSP or MCSE Sec.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you cannot pass a paper test alone to obtain a respectable IT certification. While a Security+ might get you in an entry level position, its a bit more difficult when pursuing CISSP fortunately; you dont want the people at the forefront of IT security to hold those positions because they passed a test. unfortunately there are those who have CISSP and, well, thats it, put them on a computer and they will be calling the junior techs how to do basic functions, you cannot expect them to secure a router or server.

CISSP should be the icing on top of the cake, not an icing cake, but thats just me, my path is ground up, not the other way around.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lamini wrote: »
    CISSP should be the icing on top of the cake, not an icing cake, but thats just me, my path is ground up, not the other way around.

Well said icon_lol.gif
  • mrblackmamba343mrblackmamba343 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 136
    if you want a security cert that is purelly hands on unlike the CISSP go for CCSP. I'm working on mine right now. A lot of commands that you have to memorized/ study especially for VPN configs but they will pay off someday