Help changing memory on 2501 from Read Only to Read/Write

Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
I am trying to update the IOS on my 2501. It has 16mb DRAM and 16mb Flash. My issue is that I cant get the Flash memory off of the read only state. Also when I boot into ROM from config-register 0x2101 I still get the message on system flash that says "device not programmable". My current IOS is corrupted and I need to erase the current flash and install my back up image. Can someone help me change my write permissions?
Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Corndork2 wrote: »
    My issue is that I cant get the Flash memory off of the read only state. Also when I boot into ROM from config-register 0x2101 I still get the message on system flash that says "device not programmable".
    Are those two separate issues from two different things you tried? Or do you get a read only flash memory messages somewhere and then the device not programmable message?

It would help if you told us what command(s) you did to get that/those error message(s) -- or better yet, post the output of the terminal session using code blocks for any different things you've tried.

And the output of a show version command is usually useful.

I would have guessed that you updated the Flash to get that error message and your old ROM version didn't support the 3rd party Flash memory -- but since you said this was just an IOS update, I'll assume it was working previously.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!