Options

Final Interview

murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
What's going on yall? Haven't been on lately. Had an interview, and thought it went pretty well. I got a call for the "Final Interview", which is with the director of the department. The first interview, I am guessing was the technical part. I have a phone interview with the director Thursday of next week. My question, in your experience is what would a director talk about? The last time that a had a 2nd and last interview, it was the president of the company talking about the company before I got hired on.

Just curious. I guess I am glad I got past the first part.
Next up
CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
ITIL Intermediate Service Operations

Comments

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My experience is that the director wants to make sure you're the kind of person he wants working for him. Most likely gonna all soft skills and communication. Turn into Mr Personality and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    My experience is that the director wants to make sure you're the kind of person he wants working for him. Most likely gonna all soft skills and communication. Turn into Mr Personality and you'll be fine.

Yup.

Second interview where I work was with all of the federal associate directors of the facility (gs15+), and the Director who works in DC who was down for other business.

It was all soft skills, because tbh... these guys weren't technical lol. And I have discovered that for sure almost 2 years later :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Well it looks like I got the job. It's cool I guess. Biggest part will be on the phones, and moving away from my department. I will be a Windows Admin. Dealing with IIS, DNS, firewall issues for customer, monitoring. There's also some SQL knowledge I have know. So now for the first time in my IT career, I can focus on reading on higher end technology and putting it to work, instead of reading and just reading trying to retain without using it a lot. I been in the books ever since I got the call. Hope I do ok.
    Next up
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    murdatapes wrote: »
    Well it looks like I got the job. It's cool I guess. Biggest part will be on the phones, and moving away from my department. I will be a Windows Admin. Dealing with IIS, DNS, firewall issues for customer, monitoring. There's also some SQL knowledge I have know. So now for the first time in my IT career, I can focus on reading on higher end technology and putting it to work, instead of reading and just reading trying to retain without using it a lot. I been in the books ever since I got the call. Hope I do ok.

Awesome man. When do you start?
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats, always good to hear about someone moving up/on in their career.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□

Sounds awesome mate, many gratz.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    Congrats man :)
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Awesome man. When do you start?

Thank you all. Start in about 3 weeks. I feel nervous, ready, not ready, higher on the "I know something" list. But I am just going to dive right into it.
    Next up
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    It's gonna be about all that crap called, "soft skills".
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Awesome dude, good luck!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Thank you all. Start in about 3 weeks. I feel nervous, ready, not ready, higher on the "I know something" list. But I am just going to dive right into it.

I have had that feeling at every job I have started lol.

You feel like you don't know enough, everyone is going to expect you to know it all/have all the answers, you feel unprepared, etc.

Just need to stay calm and remember- there was a reason they picked you over other candidates. Just hope that you didn't exaggerate your experience on your resume and they expect you to have working knowledge of the technologies you claimed ;)

Good luck & have fun! :) Don't forget about your current coworkers either. You never know when you may need a job, recommendations, etc- keep those bridges intact.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Congrats and good luck icon_cheers.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    Update:

New position going ok so far. 2 more days to go (in training) before starting my new shift next week. New stuff to learn, and i am trying to learn it quick. Was on the phones for the first time today. It was ok. My thing is trying to be the best in the department. I guess that will come with time. I have gotten every book related to my new position (except SQL and firewall book..thats coming this week).

Lata
    Next up
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like the place to be! Awesome job landing it

Hope I get good news as well, I actually did a phone interview today for the first time...wasn't hard but definitely different