General question

knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
Hey Guys,

Im here writing you guys with a question about DHCP and DNS. Well more of a question about how my setup at the moment is working, okay so here goes:

I have set up a reservation for my first client PC which is called WinXP01 (this is all on VPC btw) and i have made the reservation for 192.168.0.10 I have also put this in DNS. Now I have made a new client called WinXP02 and DNS record 192.168.0.11. I done a ipconfig /all on both the machines and looked at their MAC addresses, both are the same. Now here is the question why is it that WinXP02 gets the next IP in the pool rather than grabing the same as WinXP01?

I say its because its querying the DNS for the HOST name as in WinXP02 and finding that with the .0.11 IP address, were my friend is saying it should grab the same IP as WinXP01 as the MAC is the same and you have reserved the IP .0.10 for that particular MAC address. I think I can see what he is saying, but I believe that the DNS answer is right.

Any help would be great, Oh and if this reads wrong or doesn't make any sense I will be happy to answer any questions.

Regards
70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Comments

• surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
    Is it not because WINXP01 obtained that IP first, so DHCP has forced it to the next available?

2 different machines (although with the same MAC, not sure how this is possible) cant have the same IP address.

Might be wrong im still learning myself icon_smile.gif
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Yeah I only ask this because in DCHP when you do a reservation it asks for the PC MAC as that will never change unless you chane the NIC etc. So that's why my friend assumed it would look it up in DCHP and give it the same IP.

Though I believe it's due to the fact that I set WINXP02 in DNS to have 192.168.0.11. Though I can also be wrong.

Thinking about it. Maybe it's because it was leased by a machine already and that's why it wont send it to WINXP02.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development