Options

No Interest in Current Job

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,
I need some advice. I currently work in the IT dept. of a local bank as a "IT General System Admin" (their title), which is basically supporting bank software. I basically just wait for the application not to do what its meant to do to have the user call me with the problem, fix it, and show them on their way. I also have to plan upgrades and streamline the work process for these programs, i.e. file movement. This job is boring me to death! I have an AAS degree in Computer Systems Technologies and my NET+. The degree focused on Cisco and I really took a liking to it. I am about 3/4 way through the first Odom book and am now starting the Train Signal training. I want to eventually get my CCNA. Anywho, I don't want to be in this job anymore. I know that experience is hard to get, but I feel like the experience that I am receiving is proprietary and something that I won't be able to take with me in my career in the IT field. Plus, they match me on my 401K, but if I leave before being there for 3 yrs, I lose what they've matched me.

Could I get some advice from you guys on what I do? I started with the company in Aug. of 2008, but I want to do the networking side of IT.

Help a guy out!!!!
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd say get your CCNA and start looking for a new job. While you may be working with something proprietary, document the skills you've learned or areas you've excelled in. I'm sure you can find a lot of things that are applicable to other roles. I wouldn't worry too much about the 401k matching. You'll probably get a decent pay bump if you move to a different position, so that will probably even things out. And if you're holding up your career and not learning things, that's going to cost you a lot more in the long run. Plus, you can't put a price on your happiness either.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Get (at least) a solid three years of experience on your resume in your current job and bank your 401K money. Keep your morale up by studying for the CCNA and other certs, and thinking of what you want your next job to be. You are in a great position of having a stable job that motivates you to improve yourself and to get a better job, and you have the time to plan for it. I had a job that provided enough stability for me to finish my Master degree and start a better career. Because of that, I can't say that any time I spent at that "boring job" was wasted.
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great News!!!

Got an interview for an internal job as a Network Engineer!!

I am super excited as this is right up my alley with the Cisco training I got in College. Only problem is that another co-worker is applying and she holds a CCNA. I think she has the edge over me as all I am carrying is the NET+( and we know how much weight that holds).

So I think the only plan I have is just to wow them at the interview.

The job would entail maintaining the current network and trying to stream line it so that I can make all the bank people happy!

Wish me luck!!!
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great News!!!

I am super excited as this is right up my alley with the Cisco training I got in College. Only problem is that another co-worker is applying and she holds a CCNA. I think she has the edge over me as all I am carrying is the NET+( and we know how much weight that holds).

So I think the only plan I have is just to wow them at the interview.

The job would entail maintaining the current network and trying to stream line it so that I can make all the bank people happy!

Wish me luck!!!

Good luck
  • Options
    ats3ats3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    good luck! let us know how you go :)

p.s never stay in a job you dislike, there is always other work out there.
    3 years is a long time to be doing something you dislike ;)
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Great News!!!

Show them how much you really want the job, and that you are (or have been) prepping for the CCNA.
  • Options
    rage_hograge_hog Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,
    I need some advice. I currently work in the IT dept. of a local bank as a "IT General System Admin" (their title), which is basically supporting bank software. I basically just wait for the application not to do what its meant to do to have the user call me with the problem, fix it, and show them on their way....Plus, they match me on my 401K, but if I leave before being there for 3 yrs, I lose what they've matched me.

My last job was the other end of what you do now. I was the guy calling you saying the lockbox didnt go thru because my customer called me. Again it was a dead end job. I dont think alot of people realize how boring the IT field can be at times. Batch processing can drive you crazy if thats all you do for 12 hours. Alot of times it is at night alone or with one other person you probably do not like who often takes advantage of the fact no one is around and disappears for hours on end knowing that if anyone finds out then your a snitch. Yea it happens.

Was the 3 year 401k stretch worth it? It is hard to tell, but I did it. Actually no because now I have actually lost money on the 401k. At 2 years the layoff's started. I didn't make it the whole 3 but they had to pay me anyway because they laid me off. My advice is find a way out now. Do not wait because you will be on the wrong end of the deal some day.

Hope you get the job and good luck.