Options

To Mike

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I've determined that not being able to fall asleep the night before a CCIE Lab exam has nothing to do with sleeping alone in a hotel room and missing my cats. icon_sad.gif This sucks.

Aww man!! you miss you pussy cats.. that so sweet :)

Good luck !!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yawn. Time to mainline some coffee. All the house cats are "sleeping in" even though this is their usual breakfast time -- they must have had a busy night.

I've got my Picture ID, my CSO ID, and both my Vue and Prometric ID numbers. And I'm wearing pants.

Road Trip!! I should be home in 11.5 hours.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Good luck Mike!

I'm certain you'll kill it!!!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Good luck Mike! We'll be rooting for you.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Good luck Mike. Have fun with it :) Check back in when you get home and have a few of those beers that you eat with a fork......
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Come back with your number, or on it.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Good luck Mike! We'll keep my thumbs crossed the rest of the day icon_bounce.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Good luck Mike. Knock them out :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    He will come back with the Collection complete :)
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's 5:30pm in Chicago. Luck or not the odeal is over. Now he starts the wait. I hope he slayed it!
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think waiting will be the hardest part of this exam...
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    The CISSP is a much more brutal wait, I hear you get your results for this in a few days.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    He's probably chewing on his Guinness now.....
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck! Not being around I don't know who is going after it anymore. icon_sad.gif
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    The CCIE is a lot like the CCNA exam -- make sure you know your subnetting and don't spend more than 10 minutes on a sim/individual router configuration.

And one thing I noticed when I started looking over the lab and the existing configuration -- even in my frazzled state of mind after the troubleshooting section -- and even jotted a note about, is probably what killed me (if troubleshooting didn't). If I had followed my gut in those first 10-15 minutes while I was still almost thinking straight, this could have been the one.

Food Run!! Then I'll comment on the "interface" icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    4E65644E6564 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Out of curiousity, why did you take your Prometric number?
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In case they could not find proof of a valid written maybe?
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    4E65644E6564 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cisco is Pearson only isn't it?
  • Options
    4E6564 wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, why did you take your Prometric number?
    In case the Online Lab Scheduling Confirmation email was a secret part of the Lab Exam, I didn't want to lose points for not completing #4 of the General Exam Information section.
    4. Please ensure that you bring photo identification, your Cisco CCO User ID, and your Prometric or Pearson VUE ID to the lab.
    4E6564 wrote: »
    Cisco is Pearson only isn't it?
    They are now -- but I did almost all of my exams at Prometric, so I have a Prometric ID.

Since there is/was a lag between passing your first Cisco Exam and getting your Cisco CSCO#, you could use your Prometric, and now Pearson/Vue ID # to log in to the Online CCIE Scheduling System -- but you had to create your free CCO login to get to that page. With the changes Cisco has made with their main site, the Certification Tracking System, and the Cisco Learning Network, everything should now be linked to that CCO login id.

I did use my CCO id to "log in" to the exam -- but they had that on a sheet of paper (along with a nice random password) that was attached to my scratch paper sheets. I actually used that "top sheet" as my troubleshooting scratch paper icon_lol.gif so I guess I had 3 sheets of scratch paper (and you can always ask for more)

I guess I should mention 2 random bits of information that may be of interest to some people:

We had pizza for lunch -- one was half sausage/peperoni and the other was half/peperoni and the other half was either veggie or "supreme."

I had one blue pen and one black pen. There were no colored pencils. While they may still the odd assortment of colored pencils at the regular lab locations, there was something oddly liberating and "Expert Feeling" about just having the pens -- sort of like doing the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle in ink.

Another thing I should mention -- even though I didn't get much sleep the night before, the only coffee I drank was that cup in the car on the way to the Lab. We didn't have to "grab the badge" to get in and out of the "lab room" to go to the break room or restroom, but the only time I left the room was for the lunch break. I drank a bottle of water at lunch (and used the restroom) then, and that was it. You're not going to dehydrate in a few hours, and you can rehydrate when you're a CCIE or done with the Lab.

I probably should have taken a "stretch break" at the halfway point after lunch, but I powered through it. But, since I need a "stretch break" now, I think that pain in the neck (and upper back) is more related to slipping and falling on the ice last week.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What did you think of the lack of printed diagrams? How do you think the new steps implemented in v4 affected you? I've heard a lot of people complain of the "usability" of the new exam format.
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    What did you think of the lack of printed diagrams? How do you think the new steps implemented in v4 affected you? I've heard a lot of people complain of the "usability" of the new exam format.
    It definitely took some getting used to -- and I was still "screwing up" all through the configuration portion.

You'll definitely want to read through the articles the various CCIEs who took the beta exam wrote. There was also the Scott Morris article/post/comment on the Cisco Learning Network somewhere. You may want to read through them several times. As a matter of fact, any time you think you may want to spend "studying" for the OEQs would be better spent reading those beta exam articles.

As for the OEQs, unless you misread, misunderstand, or over-think a question, they should be easy to answer for someone ready to attempt the lab.

I brought a printout of the "tables of stuff you know" appendix (on the CD) from the Cisco Press R&S Written Certification Guide to page through in the car while waiting to go into the exam (since I allowed extra time for speeding tickets, accidents, car breakdowns, finding parking, etc). That time would have been better spent taking a nap (and hoping my cell phone alarm worked).

The OEQs application was pretty simple and straight forward -- and pretty much worked as expected. I think on the last question I hit the "previous button," expecting to go back to the 3rd question, and was confused when the "previous button" was "dimmed" and not available to go back to the 2nd question.... icon_scratch.gif On the last question the "previous button" had taken me back to the 1st question. icon_rolleyes.gif Since I wasn't there to do QA on their testing applications I didn't bother to see if the "previous button" did the same thing when sitting on the 3rd question.

From there, the "next app" seemed to be used for the Troubleshooting and then again for the Configuration portion of the lab. I read the instructions and looked for the "menu" so I could select the "start test" option, but couldn't find it. icon_scratch.gif Since I saw the Internet Explorer "e icon" in the top left corner, I poked around for a bit until I noticed something down from the top near the right edge of the screen. It wasn't the "start test" I was looking for, but it was a menu..... Once I went to full screen, I saw the rest of the "menu" and I could see the "start test" option icon_rolleyes.gif

Since that poking around wasn't timed, I can live with that.

As for the "usability".... if you want to be slick and program "fly out menus," either drop down when "focus occurs" or display the menu when someone clicks on it. I think it opened the first menu option when you'd click, so until you figure out the person who programmed this thing hates you and that you should hover until it drops to show the options, it can get pretty frustrating.

You launch your terminal sessions by clicking on the device icons in the main network graphic window. I'm a double click by habit person, but a single click was all that was required. As long as you're not a "slow double clicker" it seemed to ignore the 2nd click -- since you'd get a terminal window with an error message when trying to open an already opened device.

Cisco really should publish a "Demo" of the application -- sort of like the existing Cisco Certification Exam Tutorial/Demo.

I should mention that we had 26" LCD monitors, so you have plenty of screen to work with. I think you had the IE zoom options -- but it was also a menu option if you took the time to poke around while the exam timer was running. icon_rolleyes.gif

I probably wasted 30 minutes on my first incident trying to figure out how best to work with this interface. I had the "sizing" issue again when I opened "all the incidents" -- I could see each one as a "one liner" and had to scroll over to read them, and then scroll back, and scroll right to read that one completely.... Later on when I tried it again, it was formated properly. icon_rolleyes.gif Without knowing what it should really look really like, I just again assumed that the application programmer hated me and wanted me to fail.

Once I moved on and got used to it, it seemed to work okay. To have an incident task open at the top of my screen and read it while working, the main window couldn't be maximized, so I couldn't see the exam timer while still displaying the entire network diagram.

Once you get used to it, it isn't too bad. A demo would go a long way to helping with the usability issues. And it should be a functional demo, with fake terminal session windows, all the document/diagram windows with realistic samples, and the "zoom stuff" so I could figure out if that's useful for anything.

Now for the stuff that should be fixed.

I can live with losing an occasional terminal session. Since you're using an access server, you can get back to right were you were, so that isn't a big problem in itself. But you can't do the "open all windows in order" trick and select your router/switch from your open sessions on the task bar. When you have all the switches open and lose the session for switch 2, it comes back as the 4th task bar terminal item. So with multiple session open, you have to come up with your own "system" for keeping track. A couple times when I was getting sessions mixed up while comparing the output of show commands (and couldn't see a host name prompt) and trying to see one of the diagrams, I'd just close everything and "start over" just opening the terminal sessions I needed.

Some times when I'd click on the main application network diagram to bring it forward to open another router terminal session, I'd get a different device open. It seems their "single click" worked if you hit a router when the main application didn't have focus. icon_rolleyes.gif

When I was working off one of the diagrams and not the main network diagram application, I found it annoying I couldn't launch a router terminal session from there. icon_lol.gif I'd have to maximize or restore the main app to open a session to a device and than minimize it -- or select all the devices/diagram(s) from the task bar to bring them all forward again.

When one of my lines locked, I figured out what the Comms Server device icon was for. icon_lol.gif That's one of the nice things about using real hardware, I knew what to do to clear the line.

Right now it seems like trying to figure out how the testing application works and how best to use it icon_scratch.gif is part of the lab -- and it shouldn't be.

I did try a copy and paste from the exam to notepad -- and it worked. That at least reminded me to copy and past as much as you can to minimize typing errors.

Oh -- if they are going to keep the exam in the "online format" -- they should at least lose the "yy" fill in your rack number b*llsh*t so that you can copy and paste more. At one point I did "switch the number" in my head and did some configurations that I had to remove and do again.

And my final gripe for this post -- the desktop online documentation link takes you a page with a redirect. Seriously -- what did we all do to the people who program this and setup the desktop kiosk testing environment that they hate us so much?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Damn, sounds as much as a trial of patience as it is of skill.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    pitviper wrote: »
    Damn, sounds as much as a trial of patience as it is of skill.
    Yeah, and you also need to -- wait, I saw it somewhere....
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Stay focused!

You'll make a type and have to catch it and recover, oops, I meant typo. icon_lol.gif You have to stay focused -- and verify your work.

There was only one WTF task -- and I decided it wasn't important or needed to pass the exam. If I hadn't of been caught by that one issue I had noticed in my first glance at the configurations (and forgot about in the heat of configuration) I probably would have spent any time left at the end of the exam double checking the 95% of the stuff I knew how to configure, rather than opening the docs to read about a feature and hope for a copy and paste example to modify.

Oh, and there was one "time sink" I hit that was caused by something you never had to do on the previous versions of the Lab Exam. I went through all the proper debug procedures and came to the correct conclusion -- and then reread the task, looked at the diagram for that section, scratched my head icon_scratch.gif, and saw what I had "overlooked" -- and decided whoever wrote that task hates anyone who prepared for previous versions of the CCIE R&S Lab (but likes people with real hardware lab experience). icon_lol.gif I will add a comment about that when I do my post-lab feedback form.
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    i was thinking the same thing. Doesnt seem fair to have to fight with the effing interface while taking such a seriously technical exam. That wouldnt be acceptable in something like the bar, and this is just as important to us.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know I am a little late to the party, but good luck! :)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do you think that the lab was what you had imagined it would be or was it completely different?
  • Options
    Do you think that the lab was what you had imagined it would be or was it completely different?
    Yeah it was exactly as I imagined it would be.

I expected it to be a b*tch -- and it was. :D