Options

Company may be sending me over to Haiti

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well my boss asked me if I wanted to go to Haiti. I was a little surprised, I knew we were going to be sending some engineers down to survey the damage and figure out what had to be demoed. Looks like I may be heading down to provide IT support to our personnel. There are some nice benefits to the whole thing, being brought on as full employee (I am contract), 60% uplift for the three months I will be there, and of course benefits.

I have to decide in the next few days, and my wife thinks this could be very beneficial for us.

Comments

• Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Not to mention the "feel good" factor of going there to help people getting back on their feet.

Good for you, I hope it works out!
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it would be a very valuable opportunity regardless of how you personally benefit. That's some life-changing stuff right there. I'd go if I had the means and opportunity.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's not so easy. I survived two earthquake in my country and the conditions of the country after this situation is not good.

Sometimes you get power sometimes not, the security is another issue and there are sickness everywhere.

I know that you go there to work and not like a turist but after you are there one week you will see.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    impelse wrote: »
    Sometimes you get power sometimes not, the security is another issue and there are sickness everywhere.

I know that you go there to work and not like a turist but after you are there one week you will see.

My company is a government contractor group so I would be stationed on a military base. I doubt I will see much of the outside world. I have nothing against helping, I have been active with R.A.C.E.S. and A.R.E.S. for years now.

My boss is unsure when we will be deployed to go over.
  • Options
    impelse wrote: »
    It's not so easy. I survived two earthquake in my country and the conditions of the country after this situation is not good.

I am sure the military will have this under control. I am going to go with my eyes VERY wide open though.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I think it would be a very valuable opportunity regardless of how you personally benefit. That's some life-changing stuff right there. I'd go if I had the means and opportunity.

Yeah, watching the pictures alone really grieves the soul. I can't imagine what it will be like in person icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    My company is a government contractor group so I would be stationed on a military base. I doubt I will see much of the outside world. I have nothing against helping, I have been active with R.A.C.E.S. and A.R.E.S. for years now.

My boss is unsure when we will be deployed to go over.

You guys hiring? icon_lol.gif
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    You guys hiring? icon_lol.gif

If you are interested PM me I can send you more info. We work literally on every part of the globe. Right now the majority of the work is Afghanistan, and Iraq.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not entirely sure I'd be too hopeful on any permanent facilities that the military has in place on Haiti...

We have been dealing with some of the issues in Haiti, and it is spotty at best as far as infrastructure goes, even for the personnel that are there to help.
  • Options
    Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    Go, I have been in some pretty bad stuff it gives you a different perspective on life

- and be safe.
    Best of luck icon_cheers.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    Well, looks like I am definitely going to be heading to Haiti. I am now both excited, and little scared. I have never been overseas, and have certainly never been in the middle of a disaster.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Go, It will be a beneficial personal experience for you
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck! I'm sure it won't be bad over there. Uncomfortable maybe, but I think you can handle it. Try to bring us back some pictures!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    PM sent :)

Good luck man :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Good luck! I'm sure it won't be bad over there. Uncomfortable maybe, but I think you can handle it. Try to bring us back some pictures!

You got it! icon_thumright.gif I figure it can't be near as bad as when some of my coworkers went to Afghanistan.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    they letting you bring your wife?
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

You make that sound like a privilege ;)
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    dynamik wrote: »
    You make that sound like a privilege ;)

Gotta keep an eye on her so she doesnt take all your stuff while your gone! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Gotta keep an eye on her so she doesnt take all your stuff while your gone! icon_lol.gif

On a serious note a person I know was pulling some fast moves behind his wife while he was out of the country. She found out and withdrew all the money he was making and left town icon_wink.gif
  • Options

I don't think she would want to do the Alaska tent thing. We figure on 200 personnel being sent down to Haiti, and they fill those tents to the brim. If it were somewhere else that is not in the middle of a national disaster I would have wanted her to come.

Military | Products | Alaska Structures
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    This will definitely be an eye opener. If they issue you meds to combat illnesses from water in insects, make sure you take them. Stay where ever they put you. I know some people may want to wander off, yeah don't.

The experience will change your life. You are doing a feel good mission, and the money is nice. Just watch yourself and watch out for those around you when you can.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    You got it! icon_thumright.gif I figure it can't be near as bad as when some of my coworkers went to Afghanistan.

I'm currently in Afghan and have also worked in Iraq and Kuwait. Afghan isn't as bad as people say it is. I also work for a Government contractor. Veritas, I sent you a PM about Haiti.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm currently in Afghan and have also worked in Iraq and Kuwait. Afghan isn't as bad as people say it is. I also work for a Government contractor. Veritas, I sent you a PM about Haiti.

+1...depends on where you go, but those places really aren't as horrible as you imagine. At this moment, due to the established infrastructure, I think I'd rather go to the middle east than Haiti.
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    Forgive me if this was asked or mentioned, but how long would you expected to be there? I can see this as benefitial all around. A good personal experience and a great professional experience. Also, being that you are doing IT support, you will be everyone's friend. :) Getting favors for extra time on the internet, plus you can be connected 24/7.

If you do go, maybe the board can do something nice like making a care package for the troops, or a donation in the forums name? Just throwing that out there...
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Keep a journal if you can.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    Forgive me if this was asked or mentioned, but how long would you expected to be there? I can see this as benefitial all around. A good personal experience and a great professional experience. Also, being that you are doing IT support, you will be everyone's friend. :) Getting favors for extra time on the internet, plus you can be connected 24/7.

If you do go, maybe the board can do something nice like making a care package for the troops, or a donation in the forums name? Just throwing that out there...

I am going to be there for three months. Not sure when I will be leaving yet, it originally was going to be two weeks from now. Now it looks more like the last week of February, or the first week of March. I promise I will keep you guys updated.

A care package is a really neat ideaa. I am not sure what we would have to do as far as dealing with TSA/Airplane Regulations.
  • Options
    Just got a call from the HR recruitment person and just about fell out of my chair by the job offer. I literally asked him to repeat the amount for me. I was hoping for a raise moving from staffing to the actual company but it was much more than I was hoping for icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    Just got a call from the HR recruitment person and just about fell out of my chair by the job offer. I literally asked him to repeat the amount for me. I was hoping for a raise moving from staffing to the actual company but it was much more than I was hoping for icon_eek.gif

Hence the reason I've been outside the U.S. for 3 years. The more dangerous the place, the higher the uplift. I'm at 70% uplift right now (Afghan). Haiti is 60%, Iraq 70%, Kuwait 20%. I suggest to anyone that's wants to get ahead in life to do a year or two over here, collect the tax free money, pay off your nice new big houses, and invest the rest. Well at least that's my plan lol. Plan 80% complete.
  • Options
    Thanks for the congratulations guys :)

I have decided to pursue the A+ (required for WGU) and RFID+ while I am in Haiti. The A+ is rather boring to me, and the RFID+ is very interesting to me from a wireless security standpoint. Hopefully I can easily knock them off when I get back.