Comptia backs down!!! Certs for life!

If you are already certified.... Read article here...

CompTIA backs down; past certs remain valid for life

w00t!
Dustin Leefers

Comments

• jrmeulemansjrmeulemans Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree, Woot +1

now i gotta get my Sec+ before 2011
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Now on their website: Press Releases > CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy Clarified

Now I will go back to studying for the Security+
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Glad to hear it! I've got a former coworker who told me he wants to get back into IT, and this will motivate him to get his A+ sooner rather than later.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree, Woot +1

That is what I thought of immediately, I will be urging people to do exactly this.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Although I think its not a bad idea to expire certs after 3 years, the retroactive expiration was pretty dirty. Glad they sorted it out.

A+ for life baby! haha
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Bet they see an increase in folks certifying this year so they don't have to pay that ridiculous fee starting with next year's certification.
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    That is what I thought of immediately, I will be urging people to do exactly this.

Same here lol
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • MoInSTLMoInSTL Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I sent an email to their press contact and received the following reply:

Thank you for your note. Please be advised that based on additional discussions with ISO and ANSI, CompTIA had reworked its policy regarding certification renewals. Please see Press Releases > CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy Clarified.

Best regards,
    Steven Ostrowski
    Director, Corporate Communications
    CompTIA
    630-678-8468

sostrowski@comptia.org
    Just started 70-290.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Well, that's one less thing that I need to worry about.

I see that they keep mentioning that taking A+, Network+, or Security+ after Dec 31, 2010 will need to be re-certified in 3 years.
    What about Linux+, Server+, Project+, etc...? Are those going to remain "Life-Time" certs?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

I see that they keep mentioning that taking A+, Network+, or Security+ after Dec 31, 2010 will need to be re-certified in 3 years.
    What about Linux+, Server+, Project+, etc...? Are those going to remain "Life-Time" certs?

It'll be interesting. Hopefully they give another year's notice for the other ones. The only other CompTIA cert I'll ever get is the CTT+. I've passed the written, I just need to get around to making the video...
  • KujoKujo Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great, the backlash got to them. I had a feeling they would reverse this decision. Chalk up another victor to nerd rage. icon_wink.gif
  • dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree, Woot +1

Same here
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    If you are already certified.... Read article here...

CompTIA backs down; past certs remain valid for life

w00t!

That's good, but WTH is this? "Holders who wish to maintain their certification will then have to pay an annual fee to CompTIA of $25 or $49"

You have to pay a yearly fee to maintain after 2010?
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    That's good, but WTH is this? "Holders who wish to maintain their certification will then have to pay an annual fee to CompTIA of $25 or $49"

You have to pay a yearly fee to maintain after 2010?

That's if you get your cert after 2010, it's that same as CompTIA's original renewal plan.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great news. Guess I have to make room for the Security+ in 2010 then.
  • GiddyGGiddyG Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's now official on the CompTIA site too... read it here.
    WIP:

CCENT; CCNA; CWSP; 70-680; CompTIA Stitchup+
  • jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    This is great news and I'm really glad the company decided to do the right thing! I will now continue my Linux + studies.

Thank you to everyone who made their voices heard!
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm glad to see that they listened to the people. Maybe I should go for the Security+ before 2010.
  • jovenlibrejovenlibre Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Now on their website: Press Releases > CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy Clarified

Now I will go back to studying for the Security+

I am very motivated, my goal this year is SEC+ and the bridge of NET+. (lifetime + new welcome kits) then the next year the CCNA. i am still consideration for the upgrade 2003 to 2008 MS at leat MCST.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Too bad they never came out with El Presidente+
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Me a happy camper now!
    Too bad they never came out with El Presidente+
    The cram book for that would be "Rules for Radicals".
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    great ! Last thing I wanted to worry about is getting my CompTIA certs renewed !
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

I'm getting a laugh out of CompTIA's new post on their web site. The title almost reminds me of a fast food ad:

You Spoke, We Listened. Old Certifications Still Good For Life!

I was wondering about that as well...
    WoW the barbarians are at the door icon_sad.gif

Look at the comments on the bottom of this page:

best practices, security
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I’m still disappointed in Comp Tia, how can they aspect someone to renew an A+, Network+, and Security+ certification every three years!!?? Well I was originally going to try to get my A+ and Network+, this year, but now it looks like I will be trying to get my A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications, all before 2011. Currently, I’m studying for the A+ and I’m on chapter 10 of 19 chapters of the A+ Sybex book. Additionally, I have been making notecards, and copyingthe notecards that sybex, and transcneder provide on their software. It’s been hard working full time, and doing college part time, but I keep picturing my big goal of having an IT job( and yes I know I would start off in help desk) I’m building a computer in February, and I want to take the 701 in May. Anyone think it’s possible to get the A+, Security+, and Network+ certifications done within one year? Also my other question is why Security+ does, renew the A+, there isn’t any information on repair computers on the Security +, is there?
    Thanks in advance for your help
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Depends on your experience, but I don't why not. If I had not been in college last year I would have easily been able to do Network+, Security+, and the CCNA. It's all about motivation and actual experience with the material.

Good Luck on your studies! I'm sure you can do those, just remember their more broad then they are deep.
    Notice though that they didn't actually apologize to us for what happened?
    Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness. -NCIS