Comptia backs down!!! Certs for life!

2»

Comments

• dmarshdmarsh Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WoW the barbarians are at the door icon_sad.gif

Look at the comments on the bottom of this page:

best practices, security

Goddam Barbarians ! Pestering CompTIA to honour their word ! icon_twisted.gif

You do know the fall of Rome was largely an inside job caused by 'corrupt leadership' right ? icon_wink.gif
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hmmmmm.. count me in as someone thinking about Sec+ before the end of year.. will have to postpone the CCENT start though icon_study.gif
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My favorite is from the Having Fun With Passwords entry.

Holly January 25, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Would you consider “class-action lawsuit” a strong password?
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    My favorite is from the Having Fun With Passwords entry.

Holly January 25, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Would you consider “class-action lawsuit” a strong password?
    That is funny. Nice find. icon_lol.gif
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I was wondering about that as well...

Press Releases > CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy Clarified
    The policy applies only to the A+, Network+, and Security+ exams; others are not affected "at this time." Exam certifications now carry a "valid through" date that is good for three years from the exam date.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm getting a laugh out of CompTIA's new post on their web site. The title almost reminds me of a fast food ad:

You Spoke, We Listened. Old Certifications Still Good For Life!

Lol, I could have sworn this was a "clarification" of existing policy. They didn't change their minds... icon_rolleyes.gif

I will be disapointed if we have this issue with Project+ and whatever else is required for WGU's degrees.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So what if you certified in 2009 do I still have to renew? Confused by this article somewhat
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness. -NCIS

haha, I believe that's Rule #26 :)

I love that show...

To the poster above, as long you as you get certified before Jan 1, 2011 ... your A+, Net+ and Sec+ will not expire.

If you get certified after Jan 1, 2011 ... you will be subject to the expiration rules.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The fact that the new renewal policy is only for A+, Network+, and Security+ makes me think this is not only for maintaining ANSI/ISO accreditation, but also has something to do with these certs being recognized by DoD Directive 8570.01-M. All other certs listed in the directive are either renewed or have on-going education requirements.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    CompTIA Updates Certification Renewal Policy

Effective January 1, 2011, all new CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ certifications will be valid for three years from the date the candidate is certified. CompTIA will not require recertification for anyone who becomes certified by December 31, 2010. If you are certified by the end of the year, you will have a lifetime certification with no requirements for recertification or retesting.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • ChrisPEditorChrisPEditor Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I might be inviting the holy flame, here, but I have to be honest: I really didn't have a problem with the idea that I might need to renew my A+. I mean, I got mine back in 1999. 1999, which still had questions pertaining to Windows 3.1 and 5 MB hard drives. So, sure, I've independently kept up with technology in the interim, but how do I prove that objectively in, say, an interview?
    Christopher Parker
    Managing Editor, PrepLogic
    Get smarter training today with PrepLogic!

"You know what they say, 'Knowledge isn't power'... oh, wait..." --Dr. Gregory House
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I might be inviting the holy flame, here, but I have to be honest: I really didn't have a problem with the idea that I might need to renew my A+. I mean, I got mine back in 1999. 1999, which still had questions pertaining to Windows 3.1 and 5 MB hard drives. So, sure, I've independently kept up with technology in the interim, but how do I prove that objectively in, say, an interview?

They still ask about IRQs; when was the last time you had to configured one? icon_lol.gif
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    thank the baby jesus in the manger scene.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    dynamik wrote: »
    They still ask about IRQs; when was the last time you had to configured one? icon_lol.gif

I took the 2007 version and it seemed to me like none of that old garbage everyone hee'd and haw'd about was on there.
  • dmarshdmarsh Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□

Chris theres nothing stopping an employer requesting a certain version like A+ 2009 or heaven forbid they could give you a technical interview.

I've had a technical interview for practically every job I ever went for, thats like 100+ in my career.

I took certs because I thought it would cut the crap, it doesn't, nobody trusts the certs, so you still have the tech interview, so why would you re-cert again ?

Why pay for re-cert of CEU when they employers largely wil ignore it and give you a tech interview anyway ?

Then there are braindumpers, because of them the employers require the tech interview because the cert could mean nothing, so in esscence the employers are doing the sensible thing.

Another independant verification is to look at your CV and get references from previous employers, hell even phone them up and ask if you did a good job and kept up to date. 10+ years of references should go pretty far to independantly proving professionalism.

Other organisations exist that try to do professinal development and CPD / CEU etc. Its quite possible you might find yourself having to maintain multiple systems to keep multiple potential employers happy.

Yes the modern CompTIA exams are a little better and probably have less fluff in them, but really, if you could resolve IRQ and DMA conflicts the modern stuff with IRQ sharing is pretty simple. A CV with 10+ years IT experience should be worth more than any amount of re-certed A+'s, that would just show you were a mug...
  • heideggerheidegger Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is it true that Comptia will want future comptia A+ members to renew their certifications? I find that ridiculous. Seems like they need more money.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dmarsh wrote: »
    You do know the fall of Rome was largely an inside job caused by 'corrupt leadership' right ? icon_wink.gif

This is true... icon_wink.gif
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    heidegger wrote: »
    Is it true that Comptia will want future comptia A+ members to renew their certifications? I find that ridiculous. Seems like they need more money.

After all of the comments that have been made, I still agree with you. Why require an renewal for entry-level certifications?--except, it adds hype to CompTIA's image, and thereby brings in more revenue.

Anyone who is concerned about that aspect can always take the new exams versions when they are issued. But, after 3 years, under an entry-level job, I one think that one would have gained enough experience to be beyond entry-level.

Again, all that has been said about CompTIA being a non-profit organization, there still has to be funds for salary raises and benefits for those involved in exam development and general administration. Everybody wants a raise!

I'll shut up now. I'm starting to ramble and cover old ground.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    heidegger wrote: »

Which is why you make it your goal to finish off any CompTIA certifications you want this year. If you finish them this year your good for life.
  • dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
    This is great news... thanks for sharing this, I've been out of the loopfor the past two weeks (SAP implementation). At least I won't have to divert my focus from my CISSP studies!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    My latest blog article explains 8570.01 and what CompTIA is doing and why: IT Certifications and DoD Directive 8570.01-M | TechExams.net Blogs