Options

Craigslist job board

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
I decided to go on Craigslist recently because of the dryness of other job boards (Monster especially), I wanted to know how much of a success rate is it? I mean I see a decent amount of openings and I was wondering if anyone has had any success getting a callback from an employer that posted on Craigslist.

Ive been kind of desperate to look for a home in IT since my first IT job, and plus Ive been laid off for just about a month

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    RomBUS wrote: »
    I decided to go on Craigslist recently because of the dryness of other job boards (Monster especially), I wanted to know how much of a success rate is it? I mean I see a decent amount of openings and I was wondering if anyone has had any success getting a callback from an employer that posted on Craigslist.

Ive been kind of desperate to look for a home in IT since my first IT job, and plus Ive been laid off for just about a month

I have had a lot of success, unfortunately the ones that did respond were not what I thought they were. What I am trying to say is that I think they respond better than other boards.

Have you tried posting your resume on Monster? For a while last year I was getting calls almost every week.
  • Options
    Yes Ive been a Monster.com and Careerbuilder.com since 2007, Ive had success with both but recently these boards (as well as some others) have been kind of dry and was considering Craigslist. What do you mean they werent what you expected?

I was thinking in terms of success in that people got jobs they were looking for and was actually hired from postings on Craigslist.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My last 2 jobs including my current job was found on craigslist
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I scored my first real IT job on craigslist, several years ago. I didn't search it directly, though, rather I found the listing through indeed.com.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    lineline Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Its unusual, and most people chuckle when I tell them this. I landed my first IT job, 2 weeks ago, on craigslist. Was a simple request in the IT boards for an IT technician that wasnt a dumbass, so I sent in my resume.

2 interviews later I'm happily employed and now looking to move out of my apartment into a house.

Good luck bro, sometimes the unexpected happens.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    3 interviews, 3 offers, and took two positions from postings on Craigs List.
  • Options
    KujoKujo Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tend to be weary of Craigslist job adds because a lot of them are fake (Craigslist Scams - 20 Ways to Identify Fake Job Scams.)

Personally, I guess it goes without saying, unless the job add has a legitimate email address/contact info, I won't apply for it.
  • Options
    lineline Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The job I applied for and got off of craigslist looked like your typical scam.. Guess I just got lucky.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    RomBUS wrote: »

I have seen a lot of job postings on Craig’s List, and to be honest I have only applied to one so far, and that‘s because the job was for an internship. Currently, I’m school part time and work full time. My best advice is to check and see if the company lists a website or phone number in their ad, so that you can contact them. I have seen a lot of ads that only request that you email them your resume at their Craig’s list email, but I am weary of that idea for fear that someone may steal my identity. I would suggest trying these job searching sites/ hiring contractor firms.
    Relationships Matter | LinkedIn
    Dice.com - Job Search for Technology Professionals

Robert Half Technology - Home
    Kforce IT staffing...Technology
    Technisource - Results Oriented IT Staffing, Recruiting & Solutions
    I wanted to say to tell you to visit T-e-k systems, but for some reason the board won’t let me post the name of the site , so just type T-E-K Systems in your Google search bar without the dashes, good luck on your job search.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have had some hits off of craigslist too.

You may want to search on indeed.com They search all the job boards including craigslist.
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I got my current job on Craigslist... very nice.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I have had some hits off of craigslist too.

You may want to search on indeed.com They search all the job boards including craigslist.

Indeed is where I found my current job :) Not sure where it was originally posted, but Indeed is great.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    Got a network gig on there. It works!
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It definitely works, i got my current job from craigs list and im getting paid more in this struggling economy too!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    People actually use Craigslist for things besides finding hookers?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    People actually use Craigslist for things besides finding hookers?

I believe that counts as a job :p
  • Options
    Wow thanks for the words on encouragement guys! I will definitely trust your guys opinion and try Craigslist myself tomorrow

I will also check out Indeed.com as well. Thanks!
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There is also a link somewhere on Craigslist (don't remember where) that shows you why alot of people post jobs on there. From my (limited) understanding it is apparently big bucks to post on Monster and Careerbuilder, I think they said like $350-$400. However on Craigslist I think they advertise for only $35. With the economy the way it is....why not save the money?