Options

Runas on Custom mmc

it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
I log on to my PC with a regular account and use Runas to administer AD. I have ShellRunas and the RSAT installed. ADUC and GPMC all work fine running as a different user.

When I make a custom mmc and try to run it as a different user I get the error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them."

I tried turning off UAC but that didn't work. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are the saved *.msc files on a network share?
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you accessing the share via a mapped network drive?
  • Options
    I'm saving the new mmc to my desktop.

In XP I used to do this to add computer management or the Event viewer of a remote user's machine I needed to administer. I would use Run As to launch it with elevated credentials.

I'm trying to do the same thing on Windows 7.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How are you trying to launch the MMC? R-click or via runas command?

It seems like the "super user" account does not have permission to access your profile. Is your desktop included ina roaming profile?

Usually this issue comes up when trying to do runas on a network share or mapped drive.
  • Options
    I have ShellRunas installed. I right click and "Runas a Different user" using my domain admin account.
  • Options
    If I create a folder and give my Domain Admin account Full control, I can then "Run as a Different user".

That account is in the local admins groups, so it's strange I have to give it explicit permissions to be able to run a custom mmc.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I use a batch file with one line that does runas... and the command is 'start custom.msc'. Works like a charm.