Options

Console Issue

Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
Another "I bought a router off of Ebay" thread. Anyway here goes.

I bought an 877W off of ebay and I cannot console into this thing to save my life.

I have tried to do this on three different machines running XP, Vista, and 7.

I have tried Hyperterminal and Putty.

I have tried every combination of baud settings and XON/XOFF, DTS/DTR flow control stuff.

I can console into my 2950's with no problem so I'm fairly confident its not the cable.

If I let the router boot up normally, nothing is displayed but if I keep hitting buttons then I get this type of output: ýþþÿË;73#ó÷wëwó3ç¡ïØr²

I attempted to enter ROMMON mode and was able to get the below output, but when I try typing in the ROMMON mode the characters output are the same crazy jibberish.

C870 series (Board ID: 1-14) platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YI3, RELEASE SOFTWARE
Technical Support: Cisco - Shortcut
Copyright (c) 2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.

rommon 1 > ýþþÿË;73#ó÷wëwó3ç¡ïØr² Iä: ;Ë=< |l|v¿ûÎwyºëææ3µÝ¿»Óúytesvbmiknpmmmoryj§OÓÛûÿÿtÿïØr² Iä: ;Ë=< |l|v¿ûÎwyºëææ3µÝ¿»Óúytesvbmiknpmmmoryj§OÓÛûÿÿtÿ

I have had this for several months but didn't have time to mess with it and the seller tells me that it was working when he shipped it so my guess is that he is going to tell me to take a hike if I ask for a refund.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    try using hyperterminal, but instead of using the 9600 bps baud rate, use 115200 bps. it sounds like they did an xmodem of the IOS and forgot to change back to the default.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    ziggi138 wrote: »
    try using hyperterminal, but instead of using the 9600 bps baud rate, use 115200 bps. it sounds like they did an xmodem of the IOS and forgot to change back to the default.

Hope this helps.

on the back of the router. If you want to wipe the config and return the router to its defaults. power off the router, then press the RESET button while powering on. hold the reset button for 20-30 seconds and release.

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice