Options

Computer Engineering?

jeremy8529jeremy8529 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, some of you might recognize me from the post about the networking competition from the off topic forum, that is going well still! For those of you that don't, I am a senior in high school, from a small town but with big dreams. Recently though, I have been doing alot to get ready for college. I will be attending the University of Tennessee in Knoxville and I plan on majoring in computer engineering with a concentration in networking technology.

Right now, I am thinking that it would be fun to either design very high end networks, or possibly develop new fiber optic switching technologies, but im sure every one around here knows how radically ones plans can change just because of a small bit of information.

At the University, I will hopefully be working as a computer lab technician doing help desk style work.. ugh, but it will help with the books at-least. My big goal is to snag an internship or co op with either an agency like the CIA or the NSA, or maybe a company like google or ms. That way when I graduate, I will have more than just a degree in CE.

What Im wonder is if getting a degree in CE is the wrong way to go about this, or if it is the right way to go, what do I need to do in college to give myself the best chances of getting one of those dream co-ops or jobs afterwards? Do you guys think that I will have a hard time finding a job when I get out?

Comments

• Options
    CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Engineering is a difficult discipline. Expect to devote the next 4 years of your life to hard study.

Maximize your chances of employment through social networking. Take advantage of the resources your university provides and get to know your colleagues at a personal level. Do not isolate yourself during university as you will surely perish.

Volunteer for everything, talk to everyone, have fun.
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I did computer engineering, and it needs lot of devotion and studying.

No one knows how the market will be in 4 yrs (or even in the next 2 yrs)...just do what you have to do, study hard, network with people...and hey, have as much fun as you can in college, you're gonna miss that once you graduate ! trust me !!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    HypersonikHypersonik Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I have a B.Eng (IET) in Computer Systems Engineering and am the only person in our Infrastructure department to have an Engineering degree.

As of yet, it hasn't helped me one bit.

If I were you, I'd spend my time getting MCSE & CCNP.

Take you a year and make you faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more employable.