Goodbye Sun Microsystems :(

UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet?Mod Posts: 4,250 Mod
I guess we, Sun people, will miss the website:

take a look at Sun website now:

Oracle 11g, Siebel, PeopleSoft | Oracle, Software. Hardware. Complete.
Certs: GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE
In Progress: MBA

Comments

  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    At least they put it above Linux in the list ;)
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,250 Mod
    looks like we need to get used to the term "Oracle Solaris" !!!!!

    Oracle Solaris Operating System
    Certs: GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE
    In Progress: MBA
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    looks like we need to get used to the term "Oracle Solaris" !!!!!

    Oracle Solaris Operating System
    Ewwwwww. End of an era.

    Hmm... Are any of the big *NIX companies around apart from IBM now? I've no idea who even owns SGI but their machines are Itanium/Xeon now anyway. Compaq is HP now and their servers are all x86/x64 as well.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,250 Mod
    tiersten wrote: »
    Ewwwwww. End of an era.

    Hmm... Are any of the big *NIX companies around apart from IBM now? I've no idea who even owns SGI but their machines are Itanium/Xeon now anyway. Compaq is HP now and their servers are all x86/x64 as well.

    IBM is the biggest. Novel ==> SUSSE, Red Hat ==> Red Hat...HP UX is there...and now Oracle.
    Certs: GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE
    In Progress: MBA
  • disidisi Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    looks like we need to get used to the term "Oracle Solaris" !!!!!

    Oracle Solaris Operating System

    I don't understand the politics behind this :) They actually bought the brand, why do they now rename all the stuff?

    There are still a few links called Sun Server etc. I would just keep the name Sun for all the known stuff...

    Just looked that up:
    AIX - blades can be bought with Intel chipset
    HP - all the "bigger" Servers don't use Intel
    Sun/Oracle Server - still both
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Very bad acquistion IMO.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,250 Mod
    binarysoul wrote: »
    Very bad acquistion IMO.

    We sure hope it's a good acquisition. Oracle has much more customers than Sun and is better in marketing than Sun. Let's wait and see what'll happen in the next two yrs.
    Certs: GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE
    In Progress: MBA
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    At least I can still find the JDK and all that fun stuff at java.sun.com ;)
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    rfult001 wrote: »
    At least I can still find the JDK and all that fun stuff at java.sun.com ;)
    Maybe Oracle will unbundle that stupid Yahoo toolbar from the JRE install >< I know it prompts before installing but its still annoying!
  • UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    We sure hope it's a good acquisition. Oracle has much more customers than Sun and is better in marketing than Sun. Let's wait and see what'll happen in the next two yrs.

    I hope so too. I would have preferred to see IBM gobble up Sun, but someone had to before they drove themselves out of business.

    It'll be interesting to see what happens on the MySQL front.
Sign In or Register to comment.