Gatekeeper what if I didn't use one?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey CCVP gurus

what if I didnt use a gatekeeper?

what is the difference between voice gateway and gatekeeper?

thanks

icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    itdaddy wrote: »
    Hey CCVP gurus

what if I didnt use a gatekeeper?

what is the difference between voice gateway and gatekeeper?

thanks

icon_thumright.gif

A gateway is where you can have your PSTN connection. You can route all your inbound and outbound phone connections through your gateway. It can be a router like small to medium business use or it can be a carrier class gateway like service providers or very large corperations use. Basiclly its how you get outside phone connections. All of your internal voip calls will usually go over the WAN, but if you need to call someone outside your business it will have to go to the PSTN, which is what you will need to get a gateway for.

Gatekeeper is when you are using H323 and other peer to peer protocols. You have to enter dial peers at each site and if you have a bunch of sites it can get very time consuming to keep updating several sites. So you use a gatekeeper to centralize it all. We use gatekeepers for video stuff, and ususally just use a different signaling protocol for voip like MGCP which is much easier to use. I hope I keep it basic enough, but this is good for me to practice and make sure I keep knowledge in my head.

Oh yeah you prob will need a gatekeeper to pass CVOICE. I used one and it comes in handy when testing comes around. We dont' do too much deploying of cisco gatekeepers, but its cheap to build one. I used a 10-20 dollar 2610.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shodown

thank you very much. you are the man. that is all I needed. vs someone slamming me for go read this or read that. I need sometime someone to explain the basics and that is all I need and I know it helps others to refresh their memories like you said. If you can teach it you can remember it.

thanks so much for taking the time to explain. yeah I am buying a 2610xm cisco router to make my H.323 gatekeeper. I probably wont use a gateway. I am just building a simple voip lab with on my 1760 I will have a vic card with fxs port for my POTS device and on the other end a L3 3550 poE switch with a ip hone and try to call each other from both ends and if I can accomplish that and have voice go over my T1 WAN and work WHAT qOS AND COS ON MY SWITCHES ETC... THEN I will have learn something about voip and data convergence..too pricey to have everything in a home lab. but want some things and to learn basics..
    thanks a lot for your helpbowing.gif