Options

salary question

texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
I'm interviewing for a Server administrator job in houston working for a hospital. What are the pay ranges for a server admin in a healthcare industry? I have 5 years of IT exp and my MCITP:SA.

Comments

• Options
    moonlight08moonlight08 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is too broad of a question...you need to provide some details about the requirements/duties of the job and your skillset/experience.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    One million dollars!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    These are the requirements:

Installs and supports server and desktop technologies for centralized division and/or facility equipment (including operating system maintenance, application maintenance, image archive, disaster recovery)

Provides operational applications support

Provides support services to monitor, backup, and diagnose servers and storage equipment; recommends corrective action to failing server and desktop equipment

Provides On-call support (24x7) to assist with troubleshooting, escalation, or recovery of failing equipment

Supports and coordinates installation of server and desktop technology for new projects. Participates, as needed, in division/facility technical implementation projects.

• Develops and maintains procedures for equipment installation and configuration support

• Creates and maintains documentation for equipment installation and configuration support

• Works closely with corporate, division, and facility personnel to coordinate the implementation and ongoing support of systems physically hosted at the Division Data Center and facility locations

• Coordinates sharing of best practices and policies and procedures

• Participates in activities which improve departmental and organizational performance

• Interfaces directly with a wide variety of end users and technical counterparts in other division, facility, and corporate roles

• Trains Technical Analysts and Sr. Technical Analysts

• Adheres to and supports company IT&S standards, policies, and procedures

• Maintains and protects confidentiality with regard to all aspects of patient care

• Adheres to Code of Conduct and Mission and Value Statement.

• Performs other duties as assigned

Qualifications

KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES

• Requires a strong knowledge of supported server, application, network, security systems, virus protection, and hardware configurations.

• Demonstrated strength in statistical/analytical tools for system monitoring.

• Possesses superior analytical and design capabilities.

• Understands the business implications of technology decisions.

• Demonstrates a customer orientation; establishes and maintains customer relationships.

• Must be able to drive to assigned sites to complete work

EDUCATION

• Bachelor's degree in information systems or healthcare-related field is preferred.

EXPERIENCE

• Requires minimum of two years experience in a technical role directly supporting desktop and/or application servers in an Information Technology environment.

• Advanced training and/or certification in network and security standards, equipment and protocols is also desired.

• Strong statistical and analytical tools for system monitoring.

CERTIFICATE/LICENSE

Technical certifications - highly desirable: Cisco, Microsoft, advanced training in network and security standards, equipment, and protocols.

Valid state drivers license and proof of auto insurance, if applicable

I have 5 years of exp in IT but most of it is desktop side work but I have server side experience.I have built servers before but for the most part I usually had a role in supporting them. I got my MCITP :SA back in November.I fit most of the requirements but I don't have a Bachelors I have an associate degree in Network administration.
  • Options
    After reading the job duties/requirements, my hunch is around $50k range. You'll notice they state they want a bunch of advanced certs and such, but the actual duties don't seem anywhere near requiring those. They also don't state specifically what certs they want...just "advanced" MS, Cisco stuff.

To me this fits the role of a junior type server or systems admin, or maybe a tech support lead of some kind, maybe 3rd tier support.

But one thing to always keep in mind if you do get down to discussing an offer is that the company has a dollar amount they have budgeted. To you it may be fair or it may not, but there's likely not much they can do to increase it a whole lot. My experience has been that going for about 10% above an initial offer has been pretty successful for me. I've gone higher than that before, but the chances of it working out start to decrease.

Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: Almost forgot this one.
    Valid state drivers license and proof of auto insurance, if applicable

Did you read that? Guess what you'll be doing. :)
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Which hospital?

This can affect your potential salary.

PM me if you don't want to share with everyone.

MS
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I received your PM.

I can tell you this. The organization that you've mentioned is a private company; you might expect lower from a state or county-run facility. I have done work for them at their headquarters (which is not in Houston). Based on what I know of this organization I would concur with the ~50k range. Given that it's in Houston, which relative to the rest of Texas has a higher cost of living, it might push a little bit higher. It would all depend on whether that company has different pay scales for different parts of the country; I'm almost certain that they don't.

Houston's a good place to be in IT in health care...there are a ton of hospitals; everything from private hospital management companies, to single hospitals, to state, county and university-run hospitals.

Best wishes,

PS: WTF is going on with my signature line?

"****ifi***ion*: I*IL *xp*** (v3.0), I*IL M*n*g**'* ****ifi**** in I**M (v2.0), I*O/I** 20000 *on*ul**n*, **Q ****ifi*d *ix *igm* Bl**k B*l*, *I**, M*I*P: DB* 2005, PMP, M**, IBM *D *O*, IBM ** *O*, IBM ****ifi*d Bu*in*** P*o**** *n*ly** - W*b*ph*** Bu*in*** Mod*l** *dv*n**d v6.1"

MS
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    eMeS wrote: »

"****ifi***ion*: I*IL *xp*** (v3.0), I*IL M*n*g**'* ****ifi**** in I**M (v2.0), I*O/I** 20000 *on*ul**n*, **Q ****ifi*d *ix *igm* Bl**k B*l*, *I**, M*I*P: DB* 2005, PMP, M**, IBM *D *O*, IBM ** *O*, IBM ****ifi*d Bu*in*** P*o**** *n*ly** - W*b*ph*** Bu*in*** Mod*l** *dv*n**d v6.1"

MS

I thought it was a game to guess what certs you have icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I thought it was a game to guess what certs you have icon_wink.gif

It's a secret code. I got "Cert cats Teert", then gave up, but I'm pretty sure it involves treasure.
  • Options
    eMeS wrote: »
    I received your PM.

I can tell you this. The organization that you've mentioned is a private company; you might expect lower from a state or county-run facility. I have done work for them at their headquarters (which is not in Houston). Based on what I know of this organization I would concur with the ~50k range. Given that it's in Houston, which relative to the rest of Texas has a higher cost of living, it might push a little bit higher. It would all depend on whether that company has different pay scales for different parts of the country; I'm almost certain that they don't.

Houston's a good place to be in IT in health care...there are a ton of hospitals; everything from private hospital management companies, to single hospitals, to state, county and university-run hospitals.

Best wishes,

MS

Well I currently work in houston and I make in the high 40s so would this job be worth it? I was looking for a job making at least the 60,000s.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    texasit wrote: »
    Well I currently work in houston and I make in the high 40s so would this job be worth it? I was looking for a job making at least the 60,000s.

Do it for the networking experience since you can always move on later.
  • Options
    Do it for the networking experience since you can always move on later.

that is true
  • Options
    texasit wrote: »

Well, I'm not saying it's impossible, but based on what you've posted here you're looking for around a 25% increase in salary.

My advice is to apply for different jobs that interest you, go to interviews and see if you receive any offers. If you, and they're paying more, great. If not, just keep looking.
  • Options
    I'm hear ya I'm currently working so if I don't hear a number I like then I can turn it down and hold out for more.Thanks everyone for their advice.