Office Pranks

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There's a registry entry you can enable that can allow you to force a BSOD with a particular keyboard combination... something like ctrl-f11... I forget...

Anyway, enable that, then remotely send that key combination to your target's PC.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    done the key swap, tape on the mouse, put a disconnected mouse in place of the correct mouse... one dude turned on sticky keys, person rebuilt their machine cuz of it.

dude went on vacation, so we stuffed his desk full of packing peanuts -- he didnt like that when he opened them to get something. we have taped folks desk drawers shut with clear tape, placed the tape where its hard to tell the tape is there. done the "gift wrap" of mouse/keyboard/etc as well.

not a prank -- took some old dlt tapes, broke them open and wrapped the tape around some cubes just to see how many trips around the cube/mini office area we could make.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In a computer lab where every computer has the same username/password, you can set up scheduled tasks on any other computer that you can see in network neighborhood (yes, even the professor's computer). The possibilities are endless.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally I hate office pranks. Once the Comms guys thought it would be funny to rename my desk handset display as "Michelle".
    One was a die-hard Dockers fan and the other was an arachnophobic. I changed their respective desktop images to the WC Eagles (arch-rival to the Dockers) winning the premiership and the other one to a high-res amazon tarantula.

That sorted them out. Don't mess with the sys admin.
  • mark_s0mark_s0 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    we weren't that imaginative at my last company but these kept us busy:

- sticky labels over the LED on a mouse works a treat
    - if you can get hold of a fart machine with a remote, no matter how childish, it never got old
    - switching wireless headsets when people are on lunch is hilarious to watch, especially when you work in a call centre!
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used to pull a few of these when I was an accountant in a smaller arm of my current company. My absolute favorite was a couple month commitment where once a week I would place a piece of scotch tape over the laser on a coworker's mouse. It was thin enough that it didn't change how it slid on the mouse pointer. As the tape built up the mouse worked worse and worse until finally it would barely register at all. It drove him crazy.

Now that I'm in IT and have a small amount of privilage I don't want to abuse it so I'm boring.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One time I scheduled a dude's CD tray to eject every 37 minutes or something odd like that. I purposely ejected it while we were all in the office so he thought I was the one controlling it. Then he went home to work off the network and was all freaking out when (he thought) I was still in his system ejecting his tray every so often.

If you know someone is on a WebEX and is the presenter, you can cause all kinds of embarrassment for them just by making things pop up on their screen in the middle of the presentation.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    arwes wrote: »
    Back in the DOS days, I'd change the DOS prompt to something like 'Stack overflow in sector 8675309. Please restart.' and do a CLS. I'd hear people coming back from break rebooting their computers.

I'm thinking of deploying the Annoy-A-Tron somewhere in the building, but I just can't decide on who to annoy. Although, now I see they have the EvilTron which also is quite devilish.

The annoy-a-tron didn't turn out to be as cool as it looked (yes, I bought one..or selected it as my free gift of something)..

The beep is too loud and easy to find. Although I had several co-workers come very close to finding it, they didn't, but it didn't seem to be as annoying as it was comical watching folks look around for the thing. (thank goodness for the magnet and more for the co-workers failing to realize...magnets can be attached to either side of a metal wall ;) ).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    The beep is too loud and easy to find. Although I had several co-workers come very close to finding it, they didn't, but it didn't seem to be as annoying as it was comical watching folks look around for the thing. (thank goodness for the magnet and more for the co-workers failing to realize...magnets can be attached to either side of a metal wall ;) ).

Don't they make one that changes noise levels constantly? I gotta get me one of those... :)
  • dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You don't happen to have a copy of those scripts by any chance do you?
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    When I first found PSEXEC from sys internals I was having a field day!!

My first was a script to un-mute sound card, turn volume to 100% and then play a sound file... Really good for the old "computer says no!!" when some one asks a dumb question. or getting a work mates PC to play thrash metal at 500db every time the boss walks in.

Then came changing the backgrounds remotely was fun. or flash an image on the screen as the boss walked to there PC.

And if you really wanted to be anoying setting a loop to lock there PC ever 30 seconds. (this one you tune over a few attempts untill the just cant manage to unlock, and get in to stop you doing it before it locks it again). Just don't get the wrong PC and do it to your boss.... I can tell you they don't like it!!

Yep PSEXEC is a great little tool.

oh and for a laugh if you haven't seen it, go to the sysinternal website and get the BSOD screen saver.. i have seen people sit and watchh it for ages actly believing there computer is stuck in a reboot loop.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to always mess with this one guy I worked with. One day I adjusted his mouse cursor to go extremely slow and require a very slow double click. When he was crying about it I told him he needed to change out his mouse and I of course offered to help him with that. I found a much crappier mouse and swapped it out, when he wasnt looking I changed the cursor speed to extremely fast. After that he started bragging about his new lightning fast mouse ;P

This same guy would always walk away in the middle of typing an email so I would always slip in a few "extra" words, he always sent them out without proof reading.

After that I started chaning his auto correct options in Office. It drove him insane when he couldn't complete a single intended sentance.

(Just starting to realize I picked on this guy a lot...)

We had to use CAC cards to log into the computers. They always played a wav file reminding you to remove your card when you log out. I used a text to voice site to generate some very entertaining messages to play everytime he logged out of his machice.

Since the CAC card is also the ID card I altered his photo, replaced it with a nice mug shot of Hitler, appropriate since the guys grandfather was an SS officer.

Oh and I would put a tiny piece of tape over the chip on the CAC, you couldnt see it but it prevented the computer from reading the card.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ok, it looks like I've mastered the art of scaling images...

This was done in honor of the new guy on our team. He's been talking big since he started here, so we felt he needed a little reminder of the team hierarchy:

prep.jpg

cups1.jpg

cups2.jpg

cups3.jpg

cups4.jpg

There are over 1300 2oz cups, and it took two of us 5.5 hours to setup (excluding shopping for supplies). We used approximately 15 gallons of food-colored water/Pinesol. We ditched the Pinesol after a couple hundred since it was already overpowering with just those. That turned out to be a good choice as our team area was just the right amount of pine-fresh this morning. Management probably would have been less-than-pleased if the entire office had a head-ache inducing pine scent.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    wow...

crazy
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Now that's an elaborate prank! lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "Damn. What did he do to make them that mad..."

*Boondocks*
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hahaha too awesome.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Proof of Dynamik's elite Pen-test skillz - he has evolved into a walking Obfuscation :)

Edit: Bah, silly bad spelling-bitzes, well its too late on a friday for me to redo it.

dk-te.jpg
    dt-te.jpg
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice, there is no way I could get away with that where I work... :D
    Nice, there is no way I could get away with that where I work... :D

You just have to frame someone. We left all the supplies and garbage in someone else's cube. We then congratulated him in front of management for pulling off such an awesome prank. He was more upset than the guy we pranked. *Bonus*
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik I have new found respect for you. Dude you are one sick puppy. Any normal person would have had the decency to put double sided tape on the bottom of the cups. Hovever noooo you just put the cups there giving the poor guy no excuse for not getting rid of them quickly. Really really sick.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    TheShadow wrote: »
    dynamik I have new found respect for you. Dude you are one sick puppy. Any normal person would have had the decency to put double sided tape on the bottom of the cups. Hovever noooo you just put the cups there giving the poor guy no excuse for not getting rid of them quickly. Really really sick.

I actually bought VHB, which is a really aggressive 3M tape. I used it all the time when I worked in the sign industry. Unfortunately, it didn't stick to these cups. I was going to randomly stick them down on his desk, so he wouldn't be able to rush through getting them off. Oh well. The good news is that we spent the majority of our time brain-storming what was next, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be better than this.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Really great pictures. Nice for a Friday and got a few chuckles around here. I fear the next person is in real trouble.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As each person came in and discovered our masterpiece, after marveling speechless for 10 seconds, about 90% of them were like "ZOMG SWEET! JELLO SHOTS!". When they found out that they were actually Pinesol shots, they weren't nearly as excited. Our bosses ended up being the ones to clean it up too $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    :study:
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just came across this one at a gaming site I frequent, and figured I should share. So, erm..speaking of Jello. Welcome back to work Tom!
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That one's really good.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    As each person came in and discovered our masterpiece, after marveling speechless for 10 seconds, about 90% of them were like "ZOMG SWEET! JELLO SHOTS!". When they found out that they were actually Pinesol shots, they weren't nearly as excited. Our bosses ended up being the ones to clean it up too $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I think certain people's problems there is too many pinesol shots.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A friend last day at work was last Friday, we distracted him, took his car keys from his desk, moved his car to the front parking lot, and put the keys back. His normal parcking space is visible from his cubicle and the front parking lot isn't, so when he realized his car was not in his parking space he was still in the office and started freaking about his car, we let him believe it for a couple of minutes.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I think certain people's problems there is too many pinesol shots.

Nice work gentlemen!

Paul were you in on this one too? :)

There is nothing fun like this going on with this current team icon_sad.gif Years back...we had some fun! icon_twisted.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nope, they did that one after I left. However, that is my former cubicle and that's my Chris Walken and Drew Brees. That cubicle is bad luck man.
    Lizano wrote: »
    A friend last day at work was last Friday, we distracted him, took his car keys from his desk, moved his car to the front parking lot, and put the keys back. His normal parcking space is visible from his cubicle and the front parking lot isn't, so when he realized his car was not in his parking space he was still in the office and started freaking about his car, we let him believe it for a couple of minutes.

You should have put some paste in some condoms, slung them around the cabin of his car, then parked it in the back of Wal Mart. Put some white out on the seats for extra stain action. Three or four days later when they found it he would have gotten his car back but thought a tranny was running business out of his ride. THAT'S a prank.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    One of the many pranks played in the office.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)