Good Morning my fellow IT brothers & sisters

gpitts85gpitts85 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking at taking the CCNA I am studying for it. I will have my MIS degree in about a year and a half but want to start going to get certs while working on my degree so I can be more marketable. Here is my question I dont have any hands on experience with networking but have general setup and configuration knowledge. I want to know if studying the books and the cram sheets for the exam are enough to pass or would you recommend having some hands on experience for this test. When I finish my degree I want to go into the admin side rather system or networking preferably Networking. This is why I want to start going after some of the entry certifications in Cisco and Juniper Networks as well as security. Your feedback and guidance is much appreciated
G-Money

Comptia A+

Pending... Security+

Degree in Progress....

B.S. MIS 45%

Philippians 4:13:
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"

Comments

• mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    gpitts85 wrote: »
    I am looking at taking the CCNA I am studying for it. I will have my MIS degree in about a year and a half but want to start going to get certs while working on my degree so I can be more marketable. Here is my question I dont have any hands on experience with networking but have general setup and configuration knowledge. I want to know if studying the books and the cram sheets for the exam are enough to pass or would you recommend having some hands on experience for this test. When I finish my degree I want to go into the admin side rather system or networking preferably Networking. This is why I want to start going after some of the entry certifications in Cisco and Juniper Networks as well as security. Your feedback and guidance is much appreciated

Hands on is very important. Most people get their hands on some routers and switches to create a small networking lab. There are loads of older routers etc on ebay for very good prices but you do take a bit of a risk.

Alternativly there are various emulators out there, such as Packet Tracer or GNS3.

IMO Real hardware is preferred
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • gpitts85gpitts85 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Hands on is very important. Most people get their hands on some routers and switches to create a small networking lab. There are loads of older routers etc on ebay for very good prices but you do take a bit of a risk.

Alternativly there are various emulators out there, such as Packet Tracer or GNS3.

IMO Real hardware is preferred

I see you took the MCP any insight you can give on this test. That is the one im taking next month.
    G-Money

Comptia A+

Pending... Security+

Degree in Progress....

B.S. MIS 45%

Philippians 4:13:
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would get a lab together and get alot of hands on expierence. I am so happy I built my own lab.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you haven't had much experience setting up actual equipment then I would get actual hardware as others mentioned. Check out this link:

Building a CCNA lab, Part 1 | NetworkWorld.com Community

it goes over the different hardware choices you have based on your budget and needs.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore