Options

Study Time

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey,

I just wanted to get some feedback on how long it took people to study and prepare for CCNA Security. I have my CCNA and I work in a mixed Desktop and Network engineer role. I have some on the job experience with Asdm, ACL, VPN which is covered in CCNA security. I'm going to use CBT Nuggetts and The CCNA:Security Exam Certification Guide. Mikej412 reccomended this is another post. I did a search and I think he was refering the Michael Watkins book so I may try this.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cjthedj45 wrote: »
    Hey,

I just wanted to get some feedback on how long it took people to study and prepare for CCNA Security. I have my CCNA and I work in a mixed Desktop and Network engineer role. I have some on the job experience with Asdm, ACL, VPN which is covered in CCNA security. I'm going to use CBT Nuggetts and The CCNA:Security Exam Certification Guide. Mikej412 reccomended this is another post. I did a search and I think he was refering the Michael Watkins book so I may try this.

Thanks

I have been studying for a little less than 2 months. I think I will hit the 2 month mark on my scheduled test date (next tuesday). I think the Cert guide isn't that good (from what people who own both have told me). I am using the authorized self study guide.
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Hey,

Thanks
    About a total of 5 weeks for me. I was putting some hours in though.

The "Authorised self study guide, Implementing Cisco IOS network security" by Catherine Paquet is a good book, IMO it is better than the Michael Watkins book - it explains things better.

You do get a CD with test questions on with the Michael Watkins book though which are excellent prep for the exam.

Get them both if possible.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    I have been studying for a little less than 2 months. I think I will hit the 2 month mark on my scheduled test date (next tuesday). I think the Cert guide isn't that good (from what people who own both have told me). I am using the authorized self study guide.

I think I will go for the for the Authorised self study guide, Implementing Cisco IOS network security" by Catherine Paquet. Thanks very much for the advice. KWMINUS good luck with your exam next Tuesday be sure to let us know how you got on
  • Options
    mikem2te wrote: »
    About a total of 5 weeks for me. I was putting some hours in though.

The "Authorised self study guide, Implementing Cisco IOS network security" by Catherine Paquet is a good book, IMO it is better than the Michael Watkins book - it explains things better.

You do get a CD with test questions on with the Michael Watkins book though which are excellent prep for the exam.

Get them both if possible.

Thanks Mike as well for the advice. How did you get on with the exam did you find it difficult? Does it have the same pass mark as CCNA.

Thanks Again
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Thanks Mike as well for the advice. How did you get on with the exam did you find it difficult? Does it have the same pass mark as CCNA.

Thanks Again
    I found it ok, IMO opinion there is less content to the CCNA Security than the CCNA and some of that is repeated from the CCNA, hence I found it a bit easier to get to grips with.

Regarding the pass mark, number of questions etc, all I can say is I have found all the CCNA level exams to be broadly similar.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route