Vmware server - how to select an iso image.

wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi All,

After upgrading to windows 7 I discovered that virtual pc 2007 is not supported + windows virtual pc only supports 32 bit windows.

So I installed vmware server, now I can not find a way to select an iso image for the CD/DVD Drive.

Where should I place the iso image to be viewable in the inventory data store?

Thanks.

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    wd40 wrote: »
    Hi All,

After upgrading to windows 7 I discovered that virtual pc 2007 is not supported + windows virtual pc only supports 32 bit windows.

So I installed vmware server, now I can not find a way to select an iso image for the CD/DVD Drive.

Where should I place the iso image to be viewable in the inventory data store?

Thanks.

Is there a reason you're not using VMware Player? It can create VM's now...

Edit: Virtual PC is available for Win7...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
    Good luck to all!
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    unfortunately Windows virtual machine supports only 32 bit windows.

I did not know that vmware player can create virtual machines .. I will check it out.

I think I will dual boot with windows server 2008 with virtual server, this will allow me to concentrate a little bit more on studying.

Thanks for the reply :)
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    unfortunately Windows virtual machine supports only 32 bit windows.
    Host or guest? VPC doesn't do 64 bit guests but it works on a 64 bit host.
    I mean guest,
    I saw a big discussion on the Technet forum about Windows virtual machines not supporting 64 bit OS and VPC 2007 will not run on windows 7, and everybody is switching to vmware because of that, so I assumed that Virtual PC supported 64 bit guests.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I mean guest,
    I saw a big discussion on the Technet forum about Windows virtual machines not supporting 64 bit OS and VPC 2007 will not run on windows 7, and everybody is switching to vmware because of that, so I assumed that Virtual PC supported 64 bit guests.
    Virtual PC 2007 doesn't do 64 bit guests either. You need Hyper-V if you want a Microsoft VM that does 64 bit guests.
    tiersten wrote: »
    Virtual PC 2007 doesn't do 64 bit guests either. You need Hyper-V if you want a Microsoft VM that does 64 bit guests.

Thanks again :)

I'm downloading it now @ 30 KB/s .. it will take more than 10 Hours icon_lol.gif
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I am using Server 2008 and Hyper-V and it has been the easiest way I found to set up my lab for my MCITP. It is all a matter of preference imho because I also use VMWare Player for my Linux OS Training.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
    ajmatson wrote: »
    I am using Server 2008 and Hyper-V and it has been the easiest way I found to set up my lab for my MCITP. It is all a matter of preference imho because I also use VMWare Player for my Linux OS Training.

I'm using this setup now, Thanks :)