Which version of 7 to buy for 70-680?

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi Guys I am working my way through the MS Press book and there are some labs which I want to work through but I currently do not have a legit version of 7 to create VHD's and answer files etc.

What version of Win 7 shall I purchase I need it to be able to run on 2 machines do I need to buy two copies? or has anyone passed this exam without actually running through the labs and just studied the theory side of things.

Can I use the evaluation copy for the configuring system images section of the exam,
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    You should look for a Technet or MSDN subscription, that will give you unlimited access to all OS (and more) for testing purpose. If you planned on doing more exams in the near future, that would be the most cost effective way of doing it.

TechNet How To Buy

MSDN Home Page (United Kingdom - English)
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can use evaluation copies to study for the exam, old MS Press book that I had came with Windows / sql server etc evaluation CD's.

If you decide to go for Technet you can use the promo code for a big discount.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/49933-technet-promo-code-2010-a.html
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    But can they be used to create custom images? and can you install a unattended install?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Microsoft TechNet: Resources for IT Professionals

They have Windows 7 Enterprise 90 day trial download here. I'm downloading it right now.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    But can they be used to create custom images? and can you install a unattended install?

You get the exact same image minus the activation code, so that if you like it and decide to activate you can simply enter the activation code and activate.

disclaimer:
    I just started reading Windows 7 inside out, when I finish I will start with the MS Book, I did not try to create custom images yet but I know that it should work.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Hi Guys I am working my way through the MS Press book and there are some labs which I want to work through but I currently do not have a legit version of 7 to create VHD's and answer files etc.

What version of Win 7 shall I purchase I need it to be able to run on 2 machines do I need to buy two copies? or has anyone passed this exam without actually running through the labs and just studied the theory side of things.

Can I use the evaluation copy for the configuring system images section of the exam,
    The evaluation copy is enough. If you have a budget for purchasing multiple copies of Windows 7, and plan to continue studying MS exams, consider buying a Technet subscription instead.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Download the Windows 7 Enterprise trial version... it would be enough for your study...

But if your question includes what version to use for VHD booting, BranchCache, Applocker and Direct Access..... Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate are the only version for this feature as per Windows 7 Resource Kit.
  • Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    Correct me if I am mistaken, but does not the installation DVD include all versions, and you can install and use Win7 for 120 days, before you have to activate?
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • AHPDAHPD Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Altough Windows 7 Ultimate DVD has catalogs for every edition, you cannot install Win7 Professional using Win7 Ultimate DVD unless you use Windows Deployment Services, which is another story.

Stick with Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise, which has all features. Bitlocker stuff is only available in Ultimate, per example.