Options

Supporting a new product

bwillfordbwillford Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I work as a System Admin for a small business (50 or so users). I am the only IT guy and recently we purchased 3-4 blackberry's for some of the guys on the road. I have been asked to provide training on how to use these (email, attachments, ect.) but have no current knowledge of blackberrys. I requested that the company provide me one as a replacement to the current old nextel company phone I have. I was declined but still asked to provide training. Am I wrong for wanting to be provided the hardware they want me to support and train on?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    bwillford wrote: »
    Hey guys, I work as a System Admin for a small business (50 or so users). I am the only IT guy and recently we purchased 3-4 blackberry's for some of the guys on the road. I have been asked to provide training on how to use these (email, attachments, ect.) but have no current knowledge of blackberrys. I requested that the company provide me one as a replacement to the current old nextel company phone I have. I was declined but still asked to provide training. Am I wrong for wanting to be provided the hardware they want me to support and train on?

Thanks.

We have a rule here, "If you want us to support it, we have to have it".

I don't think you are worong. Maybe see if you can use one of the BB's for yourself for a short time before giving it to the outside user.

I go here for info somtimes with ours:

www.crackberry.com
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    I'd ask them how your expected to support, let alone provide training for a product that you have not used and see what they say.
    If that fails get a pdf manual print it out and issue that as your training notes for the users.

Some people have no idea!

ps nice link computron :)
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    I understand your point of view, but since you asked for one, and they denied your request that does not mean you can throw your hands up in the air and give up.

I've supported Blackberry's since the beginning without even holding one. You can download Blackberry simulators from Blackberry's site. Honestly, they are easily supported through their help documents, simulators, and general website searches.

BlackBerry (I think this is the correct link for what I am thinking about)
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman