Options

What a rack!

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    pfft, real 3640's don't have faceplates!

and cables and kits... good guys, they're local. I've ordered a bit from them, and just go pick it up myself hehe

enjoy the M&M's!
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    pfft, real 3640's don't have faceplates!

I was thinking the same thing. C&K must have a stash of replacements
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What is this going to run you in terms of monthly power consumption?
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CChN wrote: »
    What is this going to run you in terms of monthly power consumption?

By my estimation it looks to be around 1.21 Gigawatts.

But really, I'm not exactly sure. It's enough that we've already made a conscious effort to reduce our other electrical sources. Here in FL the electric can get out of hand in the summer, so we always cut back on the lights when possible in the summer, to soften the blow of our ridiculous electric bill.
  • Options
    I used to base mine on if it was less than teenage daughters and a wife all with shoulder length hair, using 1200 watt hair dryers and curlers in different rooms of the house, then I was happy. Daughters are gone now and the wife has cut her hair, so I am safe with my toys without having to worry if I am suspected of running an indoor pot farm.

I mentioned a Kill-O-Watt meter in another thread, handy device if you are really concerned about power usage. You are in Fl and I am in Cal so we both know about electric bill sticker shock. Oranges and Oranges ha.
  • Options
    TheShadow wrote: »
    You are in Fl and I am in Cal so we both know about electric bill sticker shock. Oranges and Oranges ha.

Yep! At least here, it's amazing how different the electric bill is in the winter vs. summer. There's usually a difference everywhere (at least there was when I lived in Missouri), but here it seems very extreme.

Fortunately for me, my daughter isn't old enough to use the hairdryer enough to affect the electric bill, but I suspect that'll be happening in about 2 yrs..

Update on the rack stuff: A couple of packages are due tomorrow (stuff for the rack I ordered from ebay), although UPS delayed a couple of them till Friday unfortunately. I also ordered the rest of the modules tonight plus my serial cables. I ordered a couple of extra WIC-1T's just incase. I like to have the ability to mess around a little bit in the lab, so those will give me a little bit more flexibility.
  • Options
    I've been concerned about my power usage as well, but there's really no way to get around it. The simple solution is that I only turn it on when I'm using it, or I have a reasonable expectation of using it (ie, I'm at work and I want to practice labs because I have nothing better to do!). I've always been fairly conservative when it comes to power use as it is, so hopefully I won't jump the bill to much.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've got the carbon footprint of a small 3rd world nation -- but I've learned to live with it (since Al Gore doesn't know where I live).

The good news is that I save a bundle on heating in the winter. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    By my estimation it looks to be around 1.21 Gigawatts.

Nice...brought back memories for a second :)
  • Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    I would grab some apc 7900's, power on what you need. Since convinced my manager to let me have my lab at work, I don't have to worry about power any more :D

http://prj.tehcorner.com/cisco.juniper/no_cab.jpg < before i calbled it up :)
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I've got the carbon footprint of a small 3rd world nation -- but I've learned to live with it (since Al Gore doesn't know where I live).

The good news is that I save a bundle on heating in the winter. icon_lol.gif

Cat just jumped off my lap wondering what is wrong with me. Mike that was just too funny and only the hardware junkies here understand why. Good laugh for the day, thanks for that.
  • Options
    qplayed wrote: »
    I would grab some apc 7900's, power on what you need. Since convinced my manager to let me have my lab at work, I don't have to worry about power any more :D

http://prj.tehcorner.com/cisco.juniper/no_cab.jpg < before i calbled it up :)

I see you have a few spys in there to play jaccuse.

If you guys can't find 7900's or want to save a few bucks there is a $109 competitor that you can sometime find a little cheaper on ebay. I have one of each and both do the job.

Cost Effective Web Power Control for Data Centers, Industrial Control, Telecom, and Commercial Applications. I wish it was a standard form factor but it has quite a few features including autoasync startup so your lights don't dim (chuckle). Then they have the one with the pretty lights for triple the price.
  • Options
    Received the rack tonight and got it put together and the 3640's racked up. I tentatively threw my 2U cable management shelf in place, and got the PDU ready to go up, but I'm not tightening those down until I get some of the other stuff in place. I'll post a picture tomorrow..we're kind of having trouble deciding where it all should go. I underestimated the space required, so the rack is literally inches from where my arm would be (it'll be sitting to my right when I'm at the computer). We are going to look into moving our wall-mounted LCD in our living room in order to make things look a little neater and make my workspace more comfortable.

In the end, I don't care if it stays where it's at..I'm just happy to have gear..and there's a certain geekiness that comes with having a full CCIE rack sit next to me at all times. Nothing like the scream of 15 fans to get you motivated :)

In other news..the rest of the gear was delayed in new jersey due to the storm up in that area. UPS is unsure when it'll make it's way here..not good, but I'll remain hopeful.
  • Options
    Received the rack tonight and got it put together and the 3640's racked up. I tentatively threw my 2U cable management shelf in place, and got the PDU ready to go up, but I'm not tightening those down until I get some of the other stuff in place. I'll post a picture tomorrow..we're kind of having trouble deciding where it all should go. I underestimated the space required, so the rack is literally inches from where my arm would be (it'll be sitting to my right when I'm at the computer). We are going to look into moving our wall-mounted LCD in our living room in order to make things look a little neater and make my workspace more comfortable.

In the end, I don't care if it stays where it's at..I'm just happy to have gear..and there's a certain geekiness that comes with having a full CCIE rack sit next to me at all times. Nothing like the scream of 15 fans to get you motivated :)

In other news..the rest of the gear was delayed in new jersey due to the storm up in that area. UPS is unsure when it'll make it's way here..not good, but I'll remain hopeful.

hehe, yeah, all three of roommates did a double take after they first saw my rack. One said 'I have no idea what it does, but I like it!'. After I explained what it was for, another asked me if I could use it to make our internet faster.

Laymen. sigh.
  • Options
    hehe, yeah, all three of roommates did a double take after they first saw my rack. One said 'I have no idea what it does, but I like it!'. After I explained what it was for, another asked me if I could use it to make our internet faster.

Laymen. sigh.

Haha, yeah, that's how this will be without a doubt..it shall be a good conversation piece! We rent a townhouse, so I have a feeling we'll be battling with the management company about moving our LCD..but I hope it goes well. It'd be a huge help.

Anyway..here's a pic of where it stands now..
  • Options
    eeww, cage nuts. i hate those kinds of racks hehe
  • Options

haha, yeah, nuts + racks = not much fun...

But it holds great, and I don't forsee anything moving around too much, so they work fine. UPS shows that the bulk of the equipment is scheduled for shipment today, although at this moment they're in Jacksonville, which is several hours away, so I'm not expecting them till late today or early tomorrow at best. Oh well.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    spot on daddy same with either set of racks pics\sims meh time n place, but we ALL want to get physical hands on with the genuine article much more fun icon_biggrin.gif

hahaha, for some reason my mind is thinking about fleshlights now compared to the real thing!!!!!...not that ive tried a fleshlight ;) haha
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    but we ALL want to get physical hands on with the genuine article much more fun icon_biggrin.gif

ahahhaaha ahaahahahaha a OMG how true so many metaphores ahahh
    haha how freakin hilarious haahhaha ahha!!icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just dont let your wife find any charges on ya credit card from "rentmyrack.com"

lol!!!
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    ..Still waiting on the gear icon_sad.gif

Received some cables, and misc smaller stuff today. Still waiting on a lot of stuff. UPS messed something up (surprise)..and I have two large orders SOMEWHERE in between NJ and Jacksonville, FL. UPS says they'll be here Monday now, but I'm not too optimistic..I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Looks good so far. Hope you get the rest soon. :D
  • Options
    ..Still waiting on the gear icon_sad.gif

Received some cables, and misc smaller stuff today. Still waiting on a lot of stuff. UPS messed something up (surprise)..and I have two large orders SOMEWHERE in between NJ and Jacksonville, FL. UPS says they'll be here Monday now, but I'm not too optimistic..I'll believe it when I see it.

Interesting my UPS guy, when he dropped stuff today, said no deliveries on Monday because of the national holiday. One of the two of them is wrong. I am waiting on a 1500 page sheet feeder for my HP4300. I'm going to print off some Juniper docs and ring bind them. It is at the depot but no delivery until Tuesday. Trucks are filled with Valentine flowers and I guess they did not put that big box on his van.

I keep getting yellow highlighter on my screen that doesn't seem to move when I press PgDn. Wife is first level support and she is tired of cleaning the screens and telling me it is fixed.
  • Options
    If you call UPS their automated system says all shipments will resume as normal on Monday. When I called customer service the lady told me the same thing. I certainly hope theyre open on Monday!
  • Options
    I would rather your info be the correct one and mine is some nerds data entry error.
  • Options
    TheShadow wrote: »
    I would rather your info be the correct one and mine is some nerds data entry error.

I hope so as well. I will really be let down if Monday becomes yet another "should have been delivered"..the packages have been rescheduled 3 times..it's getting old!

I normally prefer UPS, but throughout this storm, all of my Fedex stuff (unrelated to the rack stuff) has arrived ontime, and the UPS stuff has been all over the place.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□

I was delighted when I swapped my 20u skeletek for a fullsize cabinet that did not use cage nuts. I can't count how many times I was installing nuts without anything but my bare hands and ended up with a metal clip riding up under my fingernails. No thank you!

Nice setup though!
  • Options
    I have always useda flatheadto install them..goes in quickly! A full cab would be great...but baby steps, my wife is still looking at this thing like it's a UFO. I was genuinely insultedthe other day when she called it "ugly"..haha
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    You've inspired me to build a physical CCIE lab. Turns out I have almost everything I need already, which makes the decision easier. I built out the rack today with my Skeletek 24U rolling rack I had in the garage.

R1 - 2610XM
    R2 - 3640
    R3 - 3640
    R4 - 3725
    R5 - 1760
    R6 - 2801
    SW1 - 3560
    SW2 - 3560 - Have to grab from work.
    SW3 - 3550
    SW4 - 3550
    FR Switch - 2610 - Have to grab from work.
    BB1 - 2501 - Have to grab from work.
    BB2 - 2514
    BB3 - 2514
    Acess Server - 2512

I need another 3560, a 261x and a 25xx, also around five more WIC-1Ts. I have everything else, which surprised me, lol.
  • Options
    ColbyG wrote: »
    You've inspired me to build a physical CCIE lab. Turns out I have almost everything I need already, which makes the decision easier. I built out the rack today with my Skeletek 24U rolling rack I had in the garage.

Good man! I was definitely inspired by other folks on here who were building theirs too. It helps to see others going that route as opposed to dynamips or rack rentals. Those other study methods certainly have their place, but I suppose it's just personal preference. I would love some 3560's, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I might replace two of the 3550's next year (about 3-4 months before my attempt), if money allows..those things are expensive. Maybe we can help each other out as time progresses, Orlando isn't TERRIBLY far. Let me know when you want to take the INE bootcamp in Tampa with me ;)