Options

Hate Microsoft!

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
I'm so sick of registering software every time I turn around- XP or Office 2003. I have to call the number then go through the computer voice and read off my ID number, then I'm forwarded to someone who barely speaks English. I've had it. Regestering software in the first place is joke. All it does is keep an honest guy honest.

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I register my XP and Office online, it only takes a few seconds. Either way, you are right, it's bogus, a pain in the arse as well..
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I don't register icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    I register all work software, what I'm pissed about is having to regester after the PC died or moved to anotehr one & then you have to register than call.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know exactly what you mean. One of my MOBOs died and I bought a new one and switched out the hardware, I didn't reformat the OS I just wanted to load up the new drivers for the MOBO, and of course I had to call MS and re-register because the hardware changed.

It's some big BS.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i won't register my SW... honestly its their wasy of saying u need to tell me u bought it.. actually they should be happy anyone uses it.. opps my bad it is the slower computer users that love it
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Computer_Wizz_PizzaguyComputer_Wizz_Pizzaguy Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had some major probs with my hardware and had to reinstall XP numerous times. Finally I activated it too many times and was also forced to call Microh3ll. I approve of outsourcing, but for crying out loud, at least find people who don't have to read from a script!!!!

Anyway, M$ is usually happy to bump up the # of times you can activate it, take some a$$ kissing sometimes, but hey, doesn't everything?
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Might be a pain in the arse, but it usually isn't a problem. 3 activations in a given period usually requires a call. It's a fact of life and more and more software will require activation from now on.

My suggestion is to either live with it - use freeware - forget using computers .... take your pick icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    RussS wrote:
    forget using computers .... take your pick icon_wink.gif

Not a bad idea somedays.. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    Or get a crack that bypasses the activation bullshit entirely. :P (not a viable option if you're a corporate user, obviously)
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    bighusker wrote:
    Or get a crack that bypasses the activation bullshit entirely. :P (not a viable option if you're a corporate user, obviously)

If you're corporate it's not an issue. I've GHOSTed hundreds of machines and thankfully they don't have to be activated.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I approve of outsourcing

icon_eek.gif alot of ppl lose their jobs to this only to have the company to sell this service to you at the same cost. OUTSOURCING VERY VERY BAD
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    lazyart wrote:
    bighusker wrote:

If you're corporate it's not an issue. I've GHOSTed hundreds of machines and thankfully they don't have to be activated.

If you're fortunate enough to have a copy of the activation-disabled "XP Corporate Edition." Unfortunately, I don't think Microsoft sells it any more.
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    They most certainly do still sell Corporate (or Volume Licensing) editions. They're pretty expensive too. While I do have legal licenses for all my machines running XP, I have a copy of the corp edition through school and that's what I actually use to install on my boxes so I don't have to deal with activation annoyances.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I know a few people that do the same thing....
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    Computer_Wizz_PizzaguyComputer_Wizz_Pizzaguy Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    keenon wrote:
    I approve of outsourcing

icon_eek.gif alot of ppl lose their jobs to this only to have the company to sell this service to you at the same cost. OUTSOURCING VERY VERY BAD

I didn't say i totally approved.

I approve of it to the point that it can be more benificial to the user.
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    We dont have to be married to microsoft anyway. I bought the December 04 edition of PC Pro and it has a full version of an opensource office called OpenOffice on the coverdisk. They claim its compatible with most OS's and ontop of that a winner in the mag's best software ranking. I bet you try it out.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lazyart wrote:
    bighusker wrote:

we do the same thing here in the public school system icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    One of my former instructors had a book of keys, and programs to get around this stuff. It's all M$ BS, but it comes with that oh so special, very low M$ price for their products.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    OpenOffice is amazing, it's what I use on my laptop. It can read word documents. Unfortunately, if you want to open an OO document in MSWord, you'll have to copy/paste. Of course...

Someone may have made a utility to convert, I really don't know.