Need help deciding which cisco router and switch should buy

usman_coolusman_cool Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,
I am reallly new to the CCNA, I have looked around but i could not see any post with 4000 series of routers. I can get my hand on to 2 4000 cisco router and 1 2916 switch.
CISCO 4000 ROUTER: ROUTER with 4 serial ports, 2 parallel ports, 2 ethernet ports,
CISCO 2916 SWITCH: 16 ethernet ports.
please let me know, if this setup will be enough for passing the ccna exam.
any one's help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Check the CCNA FAQ for ideas on home lab setup.

Not familiar with the 4000 series router but the 2916-XL would make an excellent coffee coaster!

Good luck and welcome to TE!

Added: Looked up 4000 Router on Cisco Feature Navigator and the best IOS is 12.1. You want a router that can do 12.4 so you can visit the SDM.
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Any kit is better than no kit but I'm afraid it's not enough to get you past your CCNA.

There are loads of threads about what kit you need.

Have you looked at GNS3 | Graphical Network Simulator ?
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 4000's can probably still be an okay frame relay switch for a Lab, if it has the serial ports. Otherwise they usually cost more to ship than they are worth -- so they usually don't get suggested for any Cisco Certification lab work any more. If they are free (and local) they may be worth grabbing to give you something to play with until you can get some new equipment. Might be enough to get you through the ICND1 material.

The only 2900 switch worth anything for CCNA study is the 2924XL-EN, and even then that's just as a 3rd switch if you can get one for $10-15 dollars. If someone thinks they are worth more, just buy a 3rd 2950 switch (around/under $50) instead.

The 2916 would be okay as a 4th switch -- but so would a $1 1900. :D I usually just suggest 3 switches, but sometimes it is fun tossing in an old switch to see what happens (root bridge elections).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • usman_coolusman_cool Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much for pitching in.
    much appreciated.