Options

Thoughts on the Net+ in relation to CCNA

xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
I went through the CCNA Acadamy in college from 04-06. I never took the CCNA because at the time I had a job and the CCNA would have been of no use where I was employed. Things change, though, and I'm thinking about returning to the world of Cisco. I've spent the last 4 years basically doing desktop support/bench technician type of stuff with some minor home/office networking thrown in here and there.

The only reason I've thought about the Net+ is the fact that it would be a lifetime cert if I finish it this year. If I'm looking at a Cisco track, though, is the Net+ going to be of any benefit on my resume at all? I've got the experience to pass the Net+ with a few weeks of study time. The CCNA would take a little more review than that though, lol. I'm hoping all those commands are still in the back of my brain somewhere......

Any thoughts?
CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Once you get the CCNA or above, the Net+ doesn't really mean anything, at least not beyond HR.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    Once you getthe CCNA or above, the Net+ doesn't really mean anything, at least not beyond HR.

Or the government.

But yes I totally agree with Colby.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just go the Cisco Route. Net+ is very generalized and is a good stepping stone if you are not familiar with networking but Cisco will show you this too.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Thanks - I guess I could always go back and take the Net+ if I ended up in a job that wanted it.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Instead of going for the Net + go for the CCENT instead.

Then you half way to be a CCNA.

IMO ComptTIA certs are a waste of time & money. I don't think they hold any weight.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I agree with everyone else NET+ is pointless if you want to go the Cisco Route. I say go CCNET. Then you don't have to worry about NET+
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Isn't there one of those Microsoft Certs where you can use the A+ and Net+ to fill an elective requirement?

Of course if there is a Microsoft Certification in your future, it may still be cheaper and more "career smart" just to do another Microsoft exam to gain some more useful skills that also work as an elective.

But if you need the "resume filler" and don't mind spending the money, then you can get a little more bang for your study hours with the overlap between the Net+ and ICND1 (CCENT) material.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I'd agree with mikeJ on this one. If you have the spare cash and are studying for the CCENT a net+ would be an easy cert to get. It might not carry much weight but every little bit counts.
  • Options
    hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    All depends on the job's you're going for, you've already been in helpdesk for 4 year's, so if you want to move away from that and go purely into networking based stuff go for CCNA, if you're just looking for something to validate basic fundemental networking knowledge then CCENT, you have the option to upgrade when you feel like it (within 3 years anyway)
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Isn't there one of those Microsoft Certs where you can use the A+ and Net+ to fill an elective requirement?

Of course if there is a Microsoft Certification in your future, it may still be cheaper and more "career smart" just to do another Microsoft exam to gain some more useful skills that also work as an elective.

But if you need the "resume filler" and don't mind spending the money, then you can get a little more bang for your study hours with the overlap between the Net+ and ICND1 (CCENT) material.

The MCSA/MCSE.
  • Options
    napolean420napolean420 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    always good to add extra certs on your resume. net+ will get you in good study mode\test taking for ccnet. maybe calm some nerves if your not used to certification exams. maybe give you some confidence for the tougher ccna.