Options

I'm concerned about this CCNP change...

2»

Comments

• Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    I think the new CCNP is great

if you want to learn QoS, do the QoS exam. If you want to learn ipsec, do ccna security.

Although, I'm not sure why they removed spanning tree from the switch exam.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I don't think they removed Spanning Tree, I think they just got all lawyery with their exam descriptions:

# Configure loop prevention for the VLAN based solution

That would seem to indicate to me that the various forms of STP are alive and well in the new CCNP
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    I don't think they removed Spanning Tree, I think they just got all lawyery with their exam descriptions:

# Configure loop prevention for the VLAN based solution

That would seem to indicate to me that the various forms of STP are alive and well in the new CCNP

you're right! I missed that.

well the new ccnp is fine :)
  • Options
    Go look at the ISCW Exam Cert Guide if you have it. Their *entire* idea of teaching a network 'Professional' to configure a Secure GRE Tunnel....... is to use a wizard. Really? Seriously? That's not good training. I haven't taken a look at the most recent edition, but I'd be willing to bet I could get a better solution out of O'Reiley's Cisco IOS Cookbook.

Incidentally, I was right about this. IOS Cookbook provides much better configuration examples for various types of tunnelling and VPN than the ISCW guide does.

'Click the next button' does not require Professional level expertise to accomplish.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm going to hold my hands up and say that I was wrong about ISCW.

After sitting down and going through the entire IPSec VPN section with CBT Nuggets, I've actually grown very fond of ISCW.

I've covered IPSec VPN configuration on my own only once or twice, and have to admit muddled through the configuration (it is so big). Seeing it in video - it all made sense.
  • Options
    aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I'm going to hold my hands up and say that I was wrong about ISCW.

After sitting down and going through the entire IPSec VPN section with CBT Nuggets, I've actually grown very fond of ISCW.

I've covered IPSec VPN configuration on my own only once or twice, and have to admit muddled through the configuration (it is so big). Seeing it in video - it all made sense.
    yeah i've found the same with various things , cisco books seem confusing watch a video (TS or CBT) and its lkike alightbulb moment!

does anyone know how good the cbt nugs/train signal is for ISCW? i've done BSCI (exam next week) in uni this year and we are nearing the end of bcmsn(exam likly in 5 weeks) but we dont cover iscw material (but we do the entire CCNA:S). is it good or a bit lacking (like i heard the switching one was)
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Seems pretty good for the ISCW (CBT Nuggets) but I always use the CBT's as complimentary to the books ;)
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Incidentally, I was right about this. IOS Cookbook provides much better configuration examples for various types of tunnelling and VPN than the ISCW guide does.

'Click the next button' does not require Professional level expertise to accomplish.

The ISCW lab portfolio is also a pretty good piece of learning material, at least the current one is. Studying for certs shouldnt really be the only way you learn your job. knowledge without depth to me is worthless, i.e. ONT and ISCW.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Seems pretty good for the ISCW (CBT Nuggets) but I always use the CBT's as complimentary to the books ;)

I do like the CBT videos, they are great for giving you a nice intredution to topics. nothing like seeing it happen on screen, And Jeremy is such a great person to llisten to talking, nice to hear his entusasam, (and spot his mistakes before he picks them up)

I just hopping they are going to release the new CCNP videos soon.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    The ISCW lab portfolio is also a pretty good piece of learning material, at least the current one is. Studying for certs shouldnt really be the only way you learn your job. knowledge without depth to me is worthless, i.e. ONT and ISCW.

Y'all seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying!

I think knowledge is good. I like knowledge.

I don't like ISCW. It's a horrible exam that is nowhere near representative of what a network professional needs to know. What you actually need to know to execute the technology it purports to test you on bears absolutely no reality to what it actually will test you on.

So for that reason, I do not mourn it's demise. From the blueprints of the new exams, it looks like the important stuff that was on ISCW's blueprints have been moved around, and I sincerely hope that the new stuff bears a closer resemblance to reality.
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Y'all seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying!

I think knowledge is good. I like knowledge.

I don't like ISCW. It's a horrible exam that is nowhere near representative of what a network professional needs to know. What you actually need to know to execute the technology it purports to test you on bears absolutely no reality to what it actually will test you on.

So for that reason, I do not mourn it's demise. From the blueprints of the new exams, it looks like the important stuff that was on ISCW's blueprints have been moved around, and I sincerely hope that the new stuff bears a closer resemblance to reality.

I'm sorry, I must not have conveyed correctly. I am agreeing with you. although I thought the ISCW lab port went into some good detail, the exam itself does not really test that level of detail. It was pretty basic. So I agree with you ;)
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab