Options

Should I go for my RHCT cert this summer?

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
My school is offering a free RHCT voucher for the top 30 students in the the Redhat linux class (so far I got a 99% avg). If the school was nearby the answer to my question would be an obvious "yes", but its over a 3+ hour round trip. Is the RHCT worth the long trip + the additional study time? I don't know the demand RHCT certified people. Should I go for it?

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am on the fence going for both of the LPI exams or the CISA exam in June. I would prefer the Redhat Cert but the real life hands on lab scares the hell out of me. I get test anxiety anyways but I would probably freak the heck out doing it for real.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    exampasser wrote: »
    My school is offering a free RHCT voucher for the top 30 students in the the Redhat linux class (so far I got a 99% avg). If the school was nearby the answer to my question would be an obvious "yes", but its over a 3+ hour round trip. Is the RHCT worth the long trip + the additional study time? I don't know the demand RHCT certified people. Should I go for it?

If Linux is something you want to work with professionally, then do it.

If not, then don't.

It's up to you whether you want to persue it in a professional environment. Obviously, if it is.... then it is worth it. If you have no interest in it, then no... it isn't worth it.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□

Free is hard to pass up though, albeit you are paying for gas, wear and tear etc.

whats the course duration? Days, week?
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

Do the RHCE. Go big or go home!

Even if you come up short, you can still earn an RHCT, so you don't have anything to lose (except a little extra money).
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I am on the fence going for both of the LPI exams or the CISA exam in June. I would prefer the Redhat Cert but the real life hands on lab scares the hell out of me. I get test anxiety anyways but I would probably freak the heck out doing it for real.

Push it off until December and take it in NOLA. Some of us are taking it then, and the after-party won't disappoint!
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I believe it is a $400 exam so a 3 hour drive is $133.33 an hour. Better than NY taxi drivers make on Friday night. So is it worth it to be certified in arguably the second most used corporate OS. I guess I'd have to think about the offer...Not
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    snadam wrote: »
    Free is hard to pass up though, albeit you are paying for gas, wear and tear etc.

whats the course duration? Days, week?
    It's a regular semester-long course that is part of my degree program.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a regular semester-long course that is part of my degree program.

oooh, well then yea that's hard to justify.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security