Options

a new guy around

dlx509dlx509 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi everybody, i just signed up for this site and i really love it because of all the good infos and the knowledge that you guys have in the IT world.
im currently taking a CST (computer support technician) class, my goal for now is to get certified in: A+ - Network+ - IT Technician- Security+ - Help Desk and Depot.
i need some advice please tell me the best way to get to my goal.
Goal for 2013:
[ ] ICND1 [ ] ICND2 [ ] Network+ [ ] SSCP [ ] Security+

Be so good that they can't ignore you.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dlx509 wrote: »
    i need some advice please tell me the best way to get to my goal.
    Exercise, eat right, and get plenty of sleep. And then every other waking moment live computers, breathe computers, be the computer. And come back here when you need a study break or have a specific question you need some help with.

Welcome to the TechExams.net forums. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Welcome to the forums!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    thomAZthomAZ Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Schedule the test! When your ready of course. It seems like my biggest problem is I don't schedule the test so I really never take studying as serious as if I had a deadline. Schedule the test a couple months in advance, depending on how prepared you are, and see if that helps get you motivated to study.
    In Progress: Currently enrolled in WGU: Studying for Net+

Degree: A.A.S Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Exercise, eat right, and get plenty of sleep. And then every other waking moment live computers, breathe computers, be the computer. And come back here when you need a study break or have a specific question you need some help with.

Welcome to the TechExams.net forums. :D

Naw, you need to train, eat your vitamins, say your prayers, and be a good little IT-Maniac. :)

You can do this relatively inexpensively. First, go to your local library. They are guaranteed to have A+ books and DVDs. It is a good solid intro into computers and a solid beginning certification. Study, study, and study. Go to the A+ forum for specific books. I've read over some of them and I like those big red ones, Exam Prep, Exam Cram? One of the two.

Good luck! Stick around and learn. You seem to have the desire.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Welcome to the forums!

My advice would be to say that certification is not a sprint, its a marathon. Pace yourself and you will do well. Burn out is a major factor for me and many other people here. Do as much studying as you can but don't forget to relax and enjoy life every once in a while.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is track for you :

Network + March 15
    Security + April 15
    70-680 MCTS: Windows 7 May 30
    CCENT June /July 30
    70-640: MCTS: Active Directory, Configuring August
    Free Reading : History Books
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    Its a Big welcome from me too.....
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Welcome to TE! icon_thumright.gif

Don't be afraid to lean on the people here, lots of good folk. Ok and you'll meet dynamik sooner or later! :D
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Here is track for you :

Network + March 15
    Security + April 15
    70-680 MCTS: Windows 7 May 30
    CCENT June /July 30
    70-640: MCTS: Active Directory, Configuring August

I highly disagree on this track for a beginner. It's too much in too little time.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I highly disagree on this track for a beginner.

I don't necessarily disagree with the path but speed I definitely disagree with. You can ingest and spit out information in one month maybe, but to truly understand what you are reading? That I highly doubt.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Welcome aboard.
    Kam.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I don't necessarily disagree with the path but speed I definitely disagree with. You can ingest and spit out information in one month maybe, but to truly understand what you are reading? That I highly doubt.

That's what I meant, its way too much to absorb in just a few months.