Windows Freezing!!

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Good morning all!

Got a weird one!

I've got this computer that freezes after 20 minutes of idle... and it also freezes when you try and open add/remove programs.

I thought at least something would be written to the event log, nothing!

I have restarted with the Windows CD in and done a repair, still freezes!

I know this doesn't have bad memory. I have this computer setup from an image and it does this to the whole of my lab! Very annoying.

Can anyone help out or any suggestions?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Is this a PC or a notebook?

A model # may be helpful too
    and you OS

Why do you 'know' the RAM is not faulty? How was it tested to confirm?

Thanks
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a Dell Optiplex 745.

I have used this computer for different images and never had any problems. The problem only seems to happen when using this lab image.
    CCNP R/S
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just noticed your DCSE :)

Have you tried a sfc /scannow?

I would deffo run the microsoft memory test too, or any other memtest just to rule it out.

I would also even run a HDD diag too. I know you said this doesn't affect any other image you use but you never know.

But firstly..... I suspect the problem will be driver related. Update your graphics/nic drivers. I have had similar issues with this before. Make sure they are all latest versions.

EDIT: I have just realised I am using do745 as we speak and when I built this the same happened to me, this was resolved by updating drivers :)

Let us know.
    I have a memtest cd, I ran that and everything works fine.

I also have done the sfc /scannow.

I thought it was fixed, but now it's beginning to annoy me!

I think that I might be on a lead though... I work for a school district and we don't want the sneaky little beggers getting into the settings and messing stuff up, so we use something called Clean Slate. It basically resets the settings upon restarting or shutdown of the computer.

I have removed that program and it seems to be stable... for now.
    CCNP R/S
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    Just noticed your DCSE :)
    Yes mate, been DCSE for about 3 years now. The school district paid for me to get certified!
    CCNP R/S
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent! Wouldn't mind something like that myself. My work is mean though and won't put their hand in their pockets at the mo!! icon_sad.gif

Anyway...

If that fails and it hangs again - update drivers :D
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    Excellent! Wouldn't mind something like that myself. My work is mean though and won't put their hand in their pockets at the mo!! icon_sad.gif

Anyway...

If that fails and it hangs again - update drivers :D
    I'm installing updates as we speak!

My work didn't want to do it, but I think it's my accent! I moved from England to the US so I still have a "cute" accent. I totally sweet talked them into getting me certified.
    CCNP R/S
  • sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good morning all!

I've got this computer that freezes after 20 minutes of idle... and it also freezes when you try and open add/remove programs.

Try putting it by a space heater... or maybe by your fireplace... :D
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try putting it by a space heater... or maybe by your fireplace... :D

Seriously though, it could be a lot of things. Maybe check for malware/viruses, check CPU temp, etc.
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What brand of memory? What type of image . wim?
    Free Reading : History Books
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I ....

I think that I might be on a lead though... I work for a school district and we don't want the sneaky little beggers getting into the settings and messing stuff up, so we use something called Clean Slate. It basically resets the settings upon restarting or shutdown of the computer.

I have removed that program and it seems to be stable... for now.

Good Deal!

I recall a client a few years back having machines donated to them and this was installed. Certainly not needed in their environment it was causing some issues...which seems to go away once removed.

So, good luck, hope that ends up solving it for you!

Otherwise, perhaps, check the PS (especially if over 3 years old) and the BIOS for any settings that may have been altered.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?