Is there any value in going back to get my A+?

SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
I am 3 years into my IT career and currently working toward the MCITP. I'm also going to bang out the Linux+ exam in the next month or so and already possess the Security+ 2009 certification.

Is there any value in me going back to get my A+ certification? I could probably study hard for one weekend and get it, but I'm not sure this would add any real value to my resume/career.

What do you guys think? Is it worth going back to get?
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I think all certs have their value, but at this point, unless an employer is specifically requiring it, then it may not be worth it for you. It's an expensive cert, and it's geared mostly towards those new to the subject matter. That being said, if you have some extra time & money to spare and want an extra credential to add to your resume, there's no harm in going after it...just my humble opine...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    I am 3 years into my IT career and currently working toward the MCITP. I'm also going to bang out the Linux+ exam in the next month or so and already possess the Security+ 2009 certification.

Is there any value in me going back to get my A+ certification? I could probably study hard for one weekend and get it, but I'm not sure this would add any real value to my resume/career.

What do you guys think? Is it worth going back to get?

It certainly wouldn't hurt, if you are going to chase after it then do it this year. After the beginning of 2011 anyone who gets certified will be required to keep certification current, and pay a yearly fee.
  • IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My first love in the IT field was desktops. I start building my own computers many years ago. I value the A+ because it reminds me of the beginning of my IT career. Also, it is still a popular certification. I would recommend it.
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    If the lifetime cert for it expires at the end of this year then perhaps I should get it just incase.

It's probably one of those things where I won't get any jobs because of it, but I could turned down from a job because of not having it.

Who knows, it could be a keyword some employer is including in their resume filter one day.

My employer reimburses for all passed cert tests so the cost isn't an issue.

Worst case scenario is I learn a couple new things and nothing else ever comes of it I guess.

Thanks for your input fellas...hope the weather is nicer there than it is here!
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    hope the weather is nicer there than it is here!

Depends where you live, South Carolina is feeling less than warm lately... icon_wink.gif
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    A+ would be nice to have but it's kind of useless unless your employer wants it like Skrpune says. I'd focus on what the market is demanding.
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Depends where you live, South Carolina is feeling less than warm lately... icon_wink.gif

DC here man, and we're getting pounded with snow for the second time this week.
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Super99 wrote: »
    A+ would be nice to have but it's kind of useless unless your employer wants it like Skrpune says. I'd focus on what the market is demanding.

This pretty much sums it up. Also, if you are going for the MCITP, I think the ammount of time required to study and take this test could be better used studying for System Admin based certs.
  • Ron BrandtRon Brandt Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking that by "upgrading" this year would not be a bad idea.(even for fun). But if you ever have to upgrade later in life I believe you will fall "trap" into CompTIA's renewal scheme.

Ron