Who is benefited by having the Server+ cert?

SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
Which career path is the Server+ mainly geared toward?

Sys admins I'm guessing...I've never really heard much about this cert, wonder if this is something I should go after.
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In the 5 years I've been & looked for jobs as a Systems Admin, I have never seen a job posting ask for this certification. I believe this certification is geared towards System Admins & Data Center technicians however.
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    That's about what I thought, just figured I would ask.

Thanks!
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I think in 15+ years of working IT, I've seen this cert requested maybe a handful of times in posts. The cert does have some good knowledge and background, but you'll see more folks asking for A+ or Net+.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Ron BrandtRon Brandt Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    I think in 15+ years of working IT, I've seen this cert requested maybe a handful of times in posts. The cert does have some good knowledge and background, but you'll see more folks asking for A+ or Net+.

I passed the new Server+(2009). I had a brief interview with our HR manager that said it was not a common cert as was Network+. The requirements for the position I was inquiring about required a Computer Science Degree,A+ and several years experience on an enterprise network.

The Server+was done in the beta version last fall.

Ron
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I had the MCITP Enterprise Admin prior to the Server+ (which i did cause it was free beta).

Id say the Server+ means nothing if you have a "higher" cert, but might be helpful if you are entry level or looking to break into some minor server work.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the Server+ last year because my supervisor felt that it would be a good basis going into the MCSE and VMware training. I agree because it introduced me to many of the concepts I've had to work with in our transition. I don't expect it to ever get me an interview but the foundation has been worth the effort and it could put me over the edge. I had to learn the stuff anyway so getting a cert out of it was just a little icing on the cake.

Sadly I missed the cutoff for the beta so I had to pay for the test but I got a reimbursement when I passed so all was good.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just an FYI guys, Jobs are not the sole reason for certs...

You shouldn't discredit a certification because companies aren't looking for them for their job searches.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    snadam wrote: »

You shouldn't discredit a certification because companies aren't looking for them for their job searches.

Maybe not the "sole" reason but getting a good job is certainly top priority for what certs I obtain. If employers aren't asking for a cert I certainly wont be getting it.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    snadam wrote: »

May not be the sole reason but I certainly wouldnt pay the extortion CompTIA charges for a cert if it was worthless.

You can learn the material and not get the cert, which is the same if its useless to employers.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I felt that it fit nicely based on my experience on the resume.
  • leeroymurrayleeroymurray Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here is a snippet form a job posting in a large data center:
    As a DC Ops Tech III on the 2nd shift (nights), you will be responsible for, but not limited to, supporting the managed services suite and installations for DC operations.
    This position is 2nd shift (7pm-7am), however, qualified candidates must be flexible and available to work in 24x7 environment as needed, regardless of shift assignment.

Qualified candidates MUST possess the following:

2+ years of professional experience in data center operations and/or data communications networking required.
    Demonstrated ability in a data center environment with installations, cable and circuit testing, terminations, server builds and hardware replacement.
    Experience with ticketing systems (such as Remedy)
    Excellent customer skills
    Strong communication skills, written and oral
    Highly self motivated and proactive in nature; willing to perform routine maintenance tasks as much as complex troubleshooting and installation responsibilities.
    Able and willing to work 1st shift, but flexible to work in a 24x7 environment as needed.

Additional preferred qualifications include:

A+, CCNA, Network +, Server +, certifications highly desirable
    Bachelor?s degree in an IT related area
    Security Clearance preferred