Building servers, it has been a while

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
It has been about five years since I've built servers and was wondering if someone can give me a high-level of what's happening in the server side of things. I'm talking about IMB, HP, Dell high-end servers.

What tasks do you perform to build servers and what hardware, system technologies you deal with.

Comments

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    It has been about five years since I've built servers and was wondering if someone can give me a high-level of what's happening in the server side of things. I'm talking about IMB, HP, Dell high-end servers.

What tasks do you perform to build servers and what hardware, system technologies you deal with.

Are you trying to physically build it yourself or are you ordering it from a reseller like CDW?
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Are you trying to physically build it yourself or are you ordering it from a reseller like CDW?

Building from scratch, so they don't come pre-configured from vendor/reseller.
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey BinarySoul,

Cool, I love building servers... Worked on everything since the old spark boxes that were about 8RU high and connected via 10baseT to todays high-end blade systems with 10gig fiber connections to sans.

Going back to your question, I have worked with alot of server systems but I have to say the COOLEST system to date was just recently at a bank. 36 Blades with a 6.4TB storage area network connected via fiber channel switches working at 1gig full duplex. Damn beautiful system, IBM's btw.

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have built some HP servers up last year. They are a good brand, bare in mind I have worked in environments where we have used IBM, DELL etc, id still say HP Proliant servers are very very cool.

I have done everything from putting in raid controller cards to putting in additional CPU's, put in hard drives and configure the pre-decided RAID (maybe with hotspare as well). I have even worked on HP proliant servers with hot plugged memory modules for data centre servers. The setup cd's provided with proliant servers are also pretty cool, offer good update options for hardware devices before building the system == win

Anyway, the hard bit is getting the ordering right for all the parts you need, make sure you get the quickspecs for the respective servers and build from that (but I am sure you already done it!)

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.