Just Got Beat by the Beast

tech3tech3 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just failed the 70-291 exam with 673 points! I used the MS press books and Transcender software to study. I can honestly say that I know every answer in the Transcender test. I didn't just memorize the answers I actually know why each answer is what it is. What threw me for a loop was the simulations, WSUS 3.0, and a bunch of IIS questions.

Transcender is outdated to say the least. All the WSUS related questions on Transcender are about SUS 2.0 and it bearly touches IIS. The simulations that come with Transcender are nice but none of them cover WSUS or RRAS. I got 6 simulations right off the bat and was a little overwhelmed. Three of the sims were straight forward but I had problems with a WSUS and two RRAS sims. Can anyone recommend a way to prepare for the simulations? I know hands on experience is the best way but I dont use MS RRAS at work. I use WSUS 3.0 at work but I only have one WSUS server. Is there any software that has simulations that work through problems so I can learn the skills needed to pass this test?

Comments

• kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Sorry to hear that you failed. You were very close, I bet you missed by 1 question, maybe 1 little mis-step in a sim. If you can remember what the sims were asking, try using VMWare server and try practice with a trial version of Server 2003. You can practice with WSUS on VMWare also, again if you can remember what you were quizzed on WSUS practice it on your server. I hope you used Microsoft's second chance. If you did, just this of this as the most realistic practice test possible. Also pratice RAS on ALOT on your server.
  • asreyesasreyes Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WSUS is ****!

It was not mentioned in the scope of 70-291 exam, as per Microsoft cert website!!

How come??!!!!
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    asreyes wrote: »
    WSUS is ****!

It was not mentioned in the scope of 70-291 exam, as per Microsoft cert website!!

How come??!!!!
    Look more closely, it's there. On the site it says "Install and configure software update infrastructure", including "software updates services" (i.e. SUS, the old version of WSUS).

Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    tech3 wrote: »
    I just failed the 70-291 exam with 673 points! I used the MS press books and Transcender software to study. I can honestly say that I know every answer in the Transcender test. I didn't just memorize the answers I actually know why each answer is what it is. What threw me for a loop was the simulations, WSUS 3.0, and a bunch of IIS questions.
    . . .

Sorry to hear Transcender let you down-- that's kind of odd for them. My ExamForce practice test clobbers me with WSUS all the time.

I set up a multiple NIC test server on an old box to play with RRAS. Flip through this forum a bit-- you'll find folks who set up test VMs with VMWare and whatnot for RRAS.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    Don't view it as defeat. Now you know what areas you need to focus on and how to attack it next time.
    Have hope.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Did you get a 2nd Chance voucher?