Options

300 Dollars to build a lab

bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
Ok I've 300 dollars to build a lab. I've had trouble with simulators and I want the real thing. Here is what I'm looking at.

I have found a couple of 1721's for sale on ebay.
I found an 851w which from what I hear I can connect this to my home network?
I am looking at using 2950 switches. How many should I use?

This is going to take me through the CCNA. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a couple 2950's and a 2611 that I am considering selling. PM if your interested.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    bcall64 wrote: »

I have found a couple of 1721's for sale on ebay.

Try to get highest mem and IOS as you can
    I am looking at using 2950 switches. How many should I use?

2 if you have the change left. Try to get the 2950Ts again with the mem and IOS

Rest of the money, if there is any, spend on memory upgrades to try to get close to 12.4t ios and they will help you in NP as well.

There are tons of threads on this with great advice from this forum both in the FAQ and trawling through the history.

Personally, I'm no sim man either. I prefer the real thing though they were throwing away an old 42U cab at work but the mrs wouldn't let me have it. She didn't agree with my logic that she didn't actually need a wardrobe seeing as we have picture rail ! <oh well ... you gotta try>
    Kam.
  • Options
    Cool thanks. Is 12.4t the latest version of cisco IOS? I am somewhat new to all of this. What is the diff between 2950 and 2950t?
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • Options
    Well after spending 4 hours on ebay and doing research I have a lab coming. 2 1721 routers, 2 2950 switches, 300 feet of cat5e cable (it was a steal), 1 crimper, 100 rj45 ends, and the two 2524 routers I already have. All for a pretty good price.
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    feet of cat5e cable (it was a steal), 1 crimper, 100 rj45 ends
    Music to my ears.

I went on a small networking course last year, out of the 6 "IT professionals" there I was the only one who could terminate Cat5.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    Well after spending 4 hours on ebay and doing research I have a lab coming. 2 1721 routers, 2 2950 switches, 300 feet of cat5e cable (it was a steal), 1 crimper, 100 rj45 ends, and the two 2524 routers I already have. All for a pretty good price.

These cable testers are good as well if you wanting to get into making your own cables as it is helpfull in showing you pins issues. You will also need a decent pair of snips.
    for RJ11 RJ12 RJ45 Cat5 Cat 5 LAN Network Cable Tester - eBay (item 170444861519 end time Mar-13-10 00:14:43 PST)

Proper Cat5e testers are very pricey, even on ebay but they would show you the quality and stats of the cable you made. These days though, people mostly buy pre made cables. The art of making your own is a dying art. (When I was at university years ago, I used to do piece work making these cables up for a freind's dad of an evening)

You should also look at getting WIC-1Ts (DB60 connectors) / WIC-2Ts (smart serial connectors) and a back to back serial DCE/DTE cable so you can learn WAN links between the two routers. The 1721's have two wic slots that these fit into.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    These cable testers are good as well if you wanting to get into making your own cables as it is helpfull in showing you pins issues. You will also need a decent pair of snips.
    for RJ11 RJ12 RJ45 Cat5 Cat 5 LAN Network Cable Tester - eBay (item 170444861519 end time Mar-13-10 00:14:43 PST)

Proper Cat5e testers are very pricey, even on ebay but they would show you the quality and stats of the cable you made. These days though, people mostly buy pre made cables. The art of making your own is a dying art. (When I was at university years ago, I used to do piece work making these cables up for a freind's dad of an evening)

You should also look at getting WIC-1Ts (DB60 connectors) / WIC-2Ts (smart serial connectors) and a back to back serial DCE/DTE cable so you can learn WAN links between the two routers. The 1721's have two wic slots that these fit into.

Yeah I mainly wanted the cable because the stores are so over priced. I'm tired to paying a 500% markup when I know I can make my own for cheap. I have a decent pair of snips and will look into a tester. If my friends need any I can sell them 10 feet for like a buck as well.

As far as the serial connection my 2524's have that. I know it's older and more out of date but for now I think it will be ok. Do you agree? I can always upgrade my 1721's if it's going to be essential for the CCNA. For now I'm going for the ccent so maybe the upgrade can wait if necessary. Well must go I just missed my mouth drinking coffee!
  • Options
    As far as the serial connection my 2524's have that. I know it's older and more out of date but for now I think it will be ok. Do you agree? I can always upgrade my 1721's if it's going to be essential for the CCNA. For now I'm going for the ccent so maybe the upgrade can wait if necessary.

Absolutely agree. Best thing you can do is dive in.

One little cabling project I did was to get hold of a patch panel that was getting thrown away at work. Stuck it into my home rack and punched down Fe / console ports and my ISP link into it rather than have cables all over the place. Sweet little excercise and everything is all tidy and just need to patch from one to the other.

I know a lot of folks say you can get by with simulators but I prefer the real thing. It doesn't have to be expensive at all. Certainly simulators wouldn't help me this evening as I have got home and the kids have been on the PC and now I had Vista blue screening.... Can't recover either so factory reset going on right now. I am on the work laptop which is console cabled right into the lab so I can get on with things whilst doing the rebuild.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Best thing you can do is dive in.

One little cabling project I did was to get hold of a patch panel that was getting thrown away at work. Stuck it into my home rack and punched down Fe / console ports and my ISP link into it rather than have cables all over the place. Sweet little excercise and everything is all tidy and just need to patch from one to the other.

I know a lot of folks say you can get by with simulators but I prefer the real thing. It doesn't have to be expensive at all. Certainly simulators wouldn't help me this evening as I have got home and the kids have been on the PC and now I had Vista blue screening.... Can't recover either so factory reset going on right now. I am on the work laptop which is console cabled right into the lab so I can get on with things whilst doing the rebuild.

Man I'd love to get a hold of a patch panel!

No kids yet but I hear ya!