Options

Need advice for 70-680, 685, 686

Hello guys,
I am planning to take the exam next month, and I am looking for some really good book material for these exams.

Do you guys have a recommended book?
What kind of material did you use when you took the exams?

I am thinking to get this MCTS Self-paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows 7
I have been using the Sybex book for my CompTIA certs, and so far it did pretty well. Therefore, I have my eyes on this as well MCTS Windows 7 Configuration Study Guide. I am wondering which one is better?

For 70-685 I am looking at this MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-685), but the thing is it will be released on Mar. 15, 2010. What do you guys think of this book?

Also, should I aim for the 70-685 or 70-686? I know that 686 is better, but I am still in the process of looking for a job, and I can't afford to fail the exam.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed, would that help me to practice some stuff about 70-680, 70-685, 70-686?

Thank you in advance.
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    The MS Press books are generally pretty good. Be aware that many users have reported a lot of errors in the 680 book, though.

Be sure to check out the threads "70-680 Resources" and the other 2 for 686 and 685, as they contain very good study materials.

I would suggest you do 686 because its a "higher level" cert, but if you arent comfortable with deployment and dont think you can learn it that well you may want to go with 685.
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Be sure to check out the threads "70-680 Resources" and the other 2 for 686 and 685, as they contain very good study materials.

Is there a 685 resource yet?
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Piers wrote: »
    Is there a 685 resource yet?

Yeah, not sure why his thread didnt get stuck.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-7-exams/47088-70-685-resources.html
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    The MS Press books are generally pretty good. Be aware that many users have reported a lot of errors in the 680 book, though.

I would suggest you do 686 because its a "higher level" cert, but if you arent comfortable with deployment and dont think you can learn it that well you may want to go with 685.
    I am excited to take this cert, but I don't know which book should I use. I am not comfortable without a book. It is some kind of psychological thing, I guess.

What material did you use to pass the 70-680 and 70-686 Hyper-me?
    The resources you are talking about is the 71-686 thread right?
    How hard is 686 and how many question does the exam have?
    I do have Windows Server 2008 RC2 Standard 64bit, but I have not install it yet because I have not finished my server computer.
    Is Windows Server 2008 RC2 Standard will be used in 70-686?

I do have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed on my rig, so I am somewhat familiar to it.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□

ahhh yes, I remember this when it came out, but I couldn't find it again.. 685 is too short a search term icon_confused.gif??:
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thehourman wrote: »
    Do you guys have a recommended book?
    What kind of material did you use when you took the exams?

I am thinking to get this MCTS Self-paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows 7
    I have been using the Sybex book for my CompTIA certs, and so far it did pretty well. Therefore, I have my eyes on this as well MCTS Windows 7 Configuration Study Guide. I am wondering which one is better?
    The Sybex book doesn't appear to be out yet, with an April release date. I took 680 after studying for 686, so I didn't have to study much... I just reviewed the resources thread. I took the 686 beta so there were few materials available... I used the 6294A beta course materials and the resources thread.
    I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed, would that help me to practice some stuff about 70-680, 70-685, 70-686?
    It should help a bit with 680. 686 covers deployment so you can do some of it on your PC. I'm not familiar with 685.
    The resources you are talking about is the 71-686 thread right?
    71-686 was the beta exam (no longer available), so the resources are the same as 70-686 (normal version) or 72-686 (student version).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV