Options

I bought a 1720 instead of a 1721 by mistake... is it still useful?

Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
I bought a 1720 for $1. I mistakingly thought it was the same as a 1721 which I found out its not. Id like to run an advanced security feature set on a 1720/21 but it requires more than the 8mb of flash the 1720 has. The 1720 also has half the DRAM. My mistake lol. Is the 1720 still useful in a lab situation at all? VPN practice maybe? What would you do with it? Coffee coaster? Extra router on the frame cloud? This one does have a WIC-1T in it so I could throw it on the FR switch if nothing else. Thanks for the input!
Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Its still useful but not as good as a 1721. You can't run SDM on a 1720 and you're limited on RAM/flash so 12.4 with IP + ADSL is the max you can get on it.
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Corndork2 wrote: »
    I bought a 1720 for $1. I mistakingly thought it was the same as a 1721 which I found out its not. Id like to run an advanced security feature set on a 1720/21 but it requires more than the 8mb of flash the 1720 has. The 1720 also has half the DRAM. My mistake lol. Is the 1720 still useful in a lab situation at all? VPN practice maybe? What would you do with it? Coffee coaster? Extra router on the frame cloud? This one does have a WIC-1T in it so I could throw it on the FR switch if nothing else. Thanks for the input!
    I bought a 1720 on ebay once just for the wic-1t card that was in it. It was cheaper than buying just the wic card itself on ebay. I kept the wic and put the 1720 back up for auction and made most of my money back.

I would hang on to it, they are still useful.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Its still useful but not as good as a 1721. You can't run SDM on a 1720 and you're limited on RAM/flash so 12.4 with IP + ADSL is the max you can get on it.

+1. A buddy of mine did the same thing. It is still a decent enough router but I think you should try to find a 1721 to add to you lab.