48mb flash for 2600 routers?

j_a_s_o_nj_a_s_o_n Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone have a good source for 48mb flash modules for 2600 series routers? I've seen on the spec sheets that this was an available upgrade, but I'm not finding anyone selling them.

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    There's a few places that sell it, the part numbers you're looking for are MEM2600XM-U1648FS or MEM2600XM-U3248FS

Cables and Kits doesn't show it on their website, but I'd recommend putting in an inquiry with them, I'm betting they can order it through their providers fairly easily, and they're what I consider a reputable vendor
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cables and Kits doesn't show it on their website, but I'd recommend putting in an inquiry with them, I'm betting they can order it through their providers fairly easily, and they're what I consider a reputable vendor

+1. My first order with Cables and Kits was only a week ago, and I was highly impressed. I recently ordered a couple of things from CiscoKits (mostly modules), and would be very surprised if they live up to the quality that Cables and Kits provided. I did find them a little bit on the expensive side, but I'd say it was worth it.
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    j_a_s_o_n wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good source for 48mb flash modules for 2600 series routers? I've seen on the spec sheets that this was an available upgrade, but I'm not finding anyone selling them.

For the 2600 series, only the 262* series can be upgrades to 32MB dependant on the BOOTROM.

Interestingly, the 2600XM routers us the samd 32MB Flash Module as the 262* non-XM series.

Check eBay.

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
    oh yeah, and i finally remembered the other vendor i trust

upgradegroup.com

their website is a bit ambigous as to whether or not they stock it though, they list the part number for a 16mb to 48mb upgrade, but call it 32mb, so it might be worth putting in a call with them. If they don't sell it, I'd be *very* surprised if they can't get their hands on it.

But they sell top notch product, I used to work for a Cisco reseller, and whenever we needed memory to bring a router into the specs a customer was wanting, we'd order from them. Our return rate with them was less than half a percent, which is saying something, because I know I personally processed thousands of incoming orders from them
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 2600XM routers are the ones that can be upgraded to 48 Meg of Flash. They have the 16 meg FIXED flash and you can add 32 Meg to the one available slot for the MAX of 48.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • j_a_s_o_nj_a_s_o_n Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ahhh thanks for the clarification. I was thinking that there was a 48mb module icon_redface.gif
    Actually, I'm embarrassed to admit I was too, and I should know better. Forgot that we had a box of 2600XM flash 16mb modules at my old job that were essentially worthless, now I remember why!
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    j_a_s_o_n wrote: »
    If you are upgrading from 32MB to 48MB of flash, which would mean taking out an existing 16MB flash module and replacing it with the 32MB, try to install a small IOS if possible before the upgrade.

I have found if I put a small IOS on (less than 16MB), the IOS would reside entirely on the main board fixed flash and the router would still boot after upgrading. Otherwise its back to nigthmare of rommon and xmodem to get the thing booting after upgrade.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    if you set it up to t.f.t.p boot an image before you upgrade, it's somewhat less painful. Then you can just format the flash and copy an image across the network without any worries
    if you set it up to t.f.t.p boot an image before you upgrade, it's somewhat less painful. Then you can just format the flash and copy an image across the network without any worries
    I wasn't aware the 2600xm had a boot helper image so wouldn't they need to boot a full IOS from flash to boot using tftp?

mikem2te wrote: »
    I wasn't aware the 2600xm had a boot helper image so wouldn't they need to boot a full IOS from flash to boot using tftp?

Yeah, I'm retarded, so I'm going to shut up now. Need to avoid making forum posts after I've been awake for 27 hours!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you search the form (or Cisco) for tftpdnld you'll find the instructions for doing a TFTP upgrade from ROMMON (at least for the 2600s). I can't remember doing one from a 2600XM, but I don't see why Cisco would have removed that functionality from a more advanced version of the 2600. The environment variables you set are CASE SENSITIVE.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If you search the form (or Cisco) for tftpdnld you'll find the instructions for doing a TFTP upgrade from ROMMON (at least for the 2600s). I can't remember doing one from a 2600XM, but I don't see why Cisco would have removed that functionality from a more advanced version of the 2600. The environment variables you set are CASE SENSITIVE.
    The functionality is there but I could never manage to bring an ethernet interface up in rommon to do the tftp on one of my 2600xm. I gave up in the end and resorted to xmodem with the ymodem switch to make it quicker.

Maybe I was being a bit case insensitive when I tried it!!!

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    mikem2te wrote: »
    The functionality is there but I could never manage to bring an ethernet interface up in rommon to do the tftp on one of my 2600xm. I gave up in the end and resorted to xmodem with the ymodem switch to make it quicker.

Maybe I was being a bit case insensitive when I tried it!!!
    TFTP in ROMMON on a 2600XM works fine whenever I've done it. I've tried it on the old and new ROMMON as well.
    tiersten wrote: »
    TFTP in ROMMON on a 2600XM works fine whenever I've done it. I've tried it on the old and new ROMMON as well.
    Ok, I know what the problem must have been, it must have been between the monitor and the chair - ME!!

I'll have to try it agin one day.