Certification Path

Can somebody recommend a path with what certs to get and approximately how long I should give myself for each cert?

I already have my security+ and am taking the 70-620 (Vista) test on February 28 en route to the MCITP:EA.

I would like to get the Linux+ after the Vista exam (giving myself 2-4 weeks to prepare for it) but then am not sure which way to go.

The end result I'm after is being a better sys admin with a specialization in security (I do DoD contracting).

If somebody could layout a clear path for me to work toward I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
JrSysAdmin
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    After the MCITP:EA I would aim for the SSCP. The amount of time for each cert all depends on how much experience you have with them. The big thing you are going to want to be sure of is that you are truly digesting the information. You want to know the information, and not just be certified.

SSCP Education & Certification
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    SSCP seems like it would be a good next step given that I don't have enough experience to go after the CISSP yet (I have 2 1/2 years IT professional IT experience).

Any idea how long it should take me to prepare for that exam?
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    SSCP seems like it would be a good next step given that I don't have enough experience to go after the CISSP yet (I have 2 1/2 years IT professional IT experience).

Any idea how long it should take me to prepare for that exam?

I have no idea, that would depend on your knowledge. After I finish my Bachelor degree that will probably be on short list of certifications to pursue. I will probably give myself at least 4 months, maybe more.