Options

Resume review please.

Need some advice on this resume please. Just looking to touch it up a bit, any advice is welcome. Formatting is kind of jacked since it's a cut and paste job. If you want to see an unedited one for structure I can email it.

Derek xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx, FL xxxx
(xxx) xxx-xxxx
xxxxxx@cfl.rr.com

SUMMARY
Professional IT Technician with experience in troubleshooting both local and wide area networks. Capable of configuring VLAN's, VTP, RIP, EIGRP and Single Area OSPF on Cisco routers and switches. Experienced technician in the troubleshooting of computer systems and related peripherals.

CERTIFICATIONS CCENT: Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician

EDUCATION DeVryy University, Orlando, FL
B.S. in Technical Management, Concentration in Network and Communication
Management, anticipated September 2010

Brevard Community College, Melbourne, FL
A.S. Computer Information Systems, August 2006

RELEVANT
Cisco Router Configuration UNIX Fundamentals Business Management

COURSEWORK
Cisco Switch Configuration Windows Server Administration Project Management
WAN Technologies Enterprise Network Design Accounting Essentials

RELATED Cisco 1800/2600XM/2800 Linux Printer Administration
SKILLS Cisco Catalyst 2960/3550 Windows Server 2003 Database Management

EXPERIENCE Network Technician (January 2009 – Current)
**********, xxxxxxxxxx – Contracted for xxxxxxxxxx
• Worked in a NOC providing support for customer and company circuits. Circuit types ranged from fractional T1’s to 10 Gigabit Ethernet and included e911 services.
• Worked with the following hardware to resolve circuit troubles: Cisco 2600XM, 2811, 3400, 3550, 3750, 6509 and 7609 for Metro Ethernet and MPLS. Other platforms included Alcatel Lucent CBX-500, B-STDX 9000, Marconi TNX-1100 and TNX-4000.
• Utilized Remedy to create tickets for troubleshooting; also familiar with multiple alarm platforms to include Netcom and NMA.
• Familiar with the graphical user interface Serviceon for Marconi, Junoscope for Juniper and Naviscore for Alcatel Lucent CBX-500 and B-STDX 9000.

IT Analyst (June 2008 – January 2009)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xx
• Installed network equipment including switches, routers, term servers and patch panels
• Installed, upgraded, maintained and configured end user equipment including PC's and printers
• Supported multiple software packages across multiple operating systems
• Used VNC for remote troubleshooting of desktop computers across 15 locations.
• Performed adds/changes/deletions for UNIX-AIX systems.
• Provided Tier 1 password resets and troubleshooting.

Data Transmission Analyst (April 2007 – May 200icon_cool.gif
Comcast Cable, xxxxxxxxxxxxx, xx
• Retrieved data from company mainframe for processing.
• Developed procedures for the transmission of secure and non-secure data.
• Developed macro's for the processing of company data.
• Maintained network applications and connections.
Communications Technician, xxxxx, xx (August 2006 – April 2007)
• Installed and configured company hardware at customer locations.
• Configured end user network equipment such as routers and wireless access points.

Infantryman (September 2004 – September 2006)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxx, xx
• Improved efficiency by creating an Access Database to store unit personnel contact information.
• Worked as a member of a rifle platoon.

Boatswain's Mate Third Class (August 1999 – July 2002)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxxx, xx
• Supervised 10 people during day-to-day operations.
• Maintained division computer systems.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks good. I might put a working on CCNA or CCNA completion estimated ... statement somewhere. Take the second sentence off of you summary. It makes it seem like you are limiting you skill set to those things.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just a quick glance, fix the typo on Devryy. Its a single "Y".
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    knwminus wrote: »
    Looks good. I might put a working on CCNA or CCNA completion estimated ... statement somewhere. Take the second sentence off of you summary. It makes it seem like you are limiting you skill set to those things.

Noted, added the CCNA information and removed the second sentence. Not happy with the summary any way but I'll figure that out.
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Just a quick glance, fix the typo on Devryy. Its a single "Y".

Noted and fixed. Thanks.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just a side question here..are you supposed to only list your technical experience or ALL of your work experience? Like I have two IT jobs to list but worked for other jobs unrelated to the position I am applying for...Also I heard usually you list your last 2-3 jobs to prevent the resume being too lengthy is that true as well?
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Just a side question here..are you supposed to only list your technical experience or ALL of your work experience? Like I have two IT jobs to list but worked for other jobs unrelated to the position I am applying for...Also I heard usually you list your last 2-3 jobs to prevent the resume being too lengthy is that true as well?

I list all relevant job experience and my military experience. I'm also rewriting the resume to have a section called technical skills which is a summarized list of my skill set. There are a lot of ways to do it and everyone will have a different point of view.