Options

Best Book for CCENT/CCNA

ats3ats3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been reading mixed reviews on what books to get for my CCENT and CCNA studies. Should I go with the Wendell Odom books or Steve Mcquery?

Is the below Odom books the most current?

Amazon.com: CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam 640-802), Third Edition (Containing ICND1 and ICND2 Second Edition Exam Certification Guides) (9781587201950): Wendell Odom: Books or

I also have CBT Nuggets CCENT video.

Comments

• Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    Mr. Odom writes some of the best books in the business, and his books come with practice exams that are harder than the actual exam!!!

If you can pass his practice exams you can book your exam and be nearly assured of passing.

His questions test your knowledge of theory and application very throughly and if you don't understand the concepts, you WILL be exposed.

But if you approach it the right way, his practice exams can be used as a tool to find out where your weaknesses are, and if you focus on those, you should be good to go!!
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    It has all you need I hope, easy to understand-
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • Options
    EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have yet to read McQuerr's book but Odom's is very good. I supplement the Odom book with Todd Lammel (sybex) CCENT/CCNA book, some parts of the Odom book can be a bit difficult to grasp such as how he explains subnetting (I was totally lost).

CBT nuggets is also great, Jeremy mixes up some humor to make it enjoyable.
  • Options
    bsmithx84bsmithx84 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    EJizzel wrote: »
    I have yet to read McQuerr's book but Odom's is very good. I supplement the Odom book with Todd Lammel (sybex) CCENT/CCNA book, some parts of the Odom book can be a bit difficult to grasp such as how he explains subnetting (I was totally lost).

CBT nuggets is also great, Jeremy mixes up some humor to make it enjoyable.

Couldn't agree more. CBT Nuggets, Cisco Press/Odem & Lammle's CCNA book is what I'm currently studying.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would recommend the Odom books. Cisco CCNA Exam Certification Library. I used them along with Chris Bryant CCIE # 12933 Train Signal Videos.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i know this is an old topic but is that the best book to use still
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    i know this is an old topic but is that the best book to use still

Todd Lammle's book is fantastic. Nice and easy to understand. Combine that with cbt nuggets and you've got a great combination.
  • Options
    method115method115 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Selfmade wrote: »
    Mr. Odom writes some of the best books in the business, and his books come with practice exams that are harder than the actual exam!!!

If you can pass his practice exams you can book your exam and be nearly assured of passing.

His questions test your knowledge of theory and application very throughly and if you don't understand the concepts, you WILL be exposed.

But if you approach it the right way, his practice exams can be used as a tool to find out where your weaknesses are, and if you focus on those, you should be good to go!!

Couldn't agree more with this post. The Odom books are better just because of the practice test. The test makes you take all the concepts you learned and use them together to solve problems/questions.