CCENT/ICND1 Exam

thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
I finally took the step and schedule the test for March 13, 2010. I am just brushing up and making sure I have subnets down. Working on my labs. No less just join the Gym and finishing up with 2 classes.
CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.

Comments

• billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Good luck on the exam. Know subnetting most definitely. I would go over anything that you are "questionable" on.
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!
    WIP:
    Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
    Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's too early to wish you good luck..... so go study something icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mike I am and your one told me go schedule the test already and stop studing :) I am just brushing up now.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    Okay reschedule for this Sunday at 1:00. I schedule so far in advance because I have so much to do but I think get it taken care of this weekend.
    Sounds like you made the right call icon_lol.gif

Go kill it if you're ready (or sick of studying) -- and go review your notes icon_study.gif
    I am sick of studing. I just been doing subnetting questions for last three days and answer the dam things in my head in under 30 seconds. I actually taken three different test one boson and passed them all.
    Well I did not pass and trust me I am so sad. I failed by one point 803 out of 804. Here are my results. What do you recommend I brush up on.

Describe the operation of data networks 100%
    Implement a small switched network 74%
    Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements 56%
    Implement a small routed network 75%
    Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for WLAN 67%
    Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods 25%
    Implement and verify WAN links 50%
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Well I did not pass and trust me I am so sad. I failed by one point 803 out of 804. Here are my results. What do you recommend I brush up on.

Describe the operation of data networks 100%
    Implement a small switched network 74%
    Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements 56%
    Implement a small routed network 75%
    Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for WLAN 67%
    Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods 25%
    Implement and verify WAN links 50%
    Security. Security. Security.

And the "implements" could be SIMs -- so hit the lab.

The "Implement IP addressing" could be subnetting related questions, or a SIM. So run some more subnetting drills on subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online

And LAB, LAB, LAB.

My one failure on a Cisco exam (not counting CCIE Lab exams) was by 5 points.... so I know that 1 point has got to suck. But you have to learn from this attempt and move on.
    Mike thanks. I will drill some more on the subnetting. This is my first Cisco test and let me tell you I actually enjoyed.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mike I am and your one told me go schedule the test already and stop studing :) I am just brushing up now.

I schedule my exams usually halfway through my planned studies, so that I guarantee my interest and passion to be prepared come test day! No 'I can do it later' if you want to keep your $150.

Brushing up is good, but if you find something you need to learn, learn it! Exams have a nasty habit of giving you just what you didn't want to receive.

"Oh, I won't get many questions about OSPF..."

I won't tell you what exam, but I was wrong! I managed, but was wrong!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    dont give up, study study study. then lab lab lab!
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
    No more studing. I feel I did not take enough time reading the questions. All I am going to do is practice and do labs. I am retaking the exam on Friday at 9:00.
    No more studing. I feel I did not take enough time reading the questions. All I am going to do is practice and do labs. I am retaking the exam on Friday at 9:00.

Have you invested in any test taking software? These were my lifeline when I was taking the CCENT and CCNA.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • ramasanramasan Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how can you tell how many questions you missed by what your score is? if you got a 780 (out of 804) how many questions did you miss?
    Yes I have and that is what I am doing now. The test. I realize I did not take my time and really read the questions. I think i may have not finish a sim too. I was thinking about it and realize the question they asked.
    ramasan wrote: »
    how can you tell how many questions you missed by what your score is? if you got a 780 (out of 804) how many questions did you miss?

I forget what the highest score possible was for that exam, but it may have been 900. It tells you on the result.

It is just simple math to figure it out from there. I'm not sure what the exam's passing scores are anymore, but here is how it works:

45 question test with a max score of 900. 900/45 = 20. 780(my score)/20 = 39.

So I would have missed 6 questions.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    chmorin wrote: »
    I forget what the highest score possible was for that exam, but it may have been 900. It tells you on the result.

It is just simple math to figure it out from there. I'm not sure what the exam's passing scores are anymore, but here is how it works:

45 question test with a max score of 900. 900/45 = 20. 780(my score)/20 = 39.

So I would have missed 6 questions.
    All the exams I have done have been scored out of a maximum of 1000.

It is impossible to put a score per question like this as there are a number of different question types (single choice, multi choice, testlets, sims etc) and although Cisco don't disclose the relative score per question it is safe to say different question types have different maximum scores. Also there may be beta questions on exams that will not be scored at all.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    Cisco has only admitted that the SIMs are worth more points than regular questions -- and that you can earn partial credit on a SIM. And there may/can be ungraded questions on the exam.

The score is on a scale of 300 - 1000, so you start with 300 points just for showing up for the exam.

That's all we know for certain -- but when you miss passing by a point it probably just comes down to one question making a difference.
    Mike it did I know it did :) i realize what questions I missed by just not paying attention to the wording on the test.
    Test time coming up in 3 hrs.

Dude DO NOT get down on yourself, you only failed by 1 point, that is saying SOMETHING! I know how you feel, my first CCNP - BSCI exam, I failed by 7 points. But, I have a friend that is a CCIE that failed one of his CCNP exams (this was before the current track), 3 different times, first by 100 points, 2nd by 1 POINT, then passed the third time. Look at it this way, you have reviewed, you are going to go into that test room and come out a winner. DO NOT study yourself to death this morning before your exam. That never really helps, I have made a pledge not to study the day of my exam. Good luck, read your questions, then your answers, then re-read them, and select the answer (Curtsy of Mike - This was the recommendation he always gave me :) ). It really does help. On your SIMs DO NOT!! I repeat DO NOT!! Spend more than 10 minutes on a SIM, if you can't get it in 10 minutes move on man. I made that mistake on my first BSCI attempt and honestly, I think it is why I failed the first try, I had to rush through my last like 25 questions. I went through the 2nd time, got a SIM I was stuck on did the best, I could moved on within 10 minutes, and passed. So, let us know the results! You are going to kill that exam this time!
    Mike it did I know it did :) i realize what questions I missed by just not paying attention to the wording on the test.
    Arrrrgh!!! You missed the usual pre-test advice?

Read the question. Read ALL the answers. Read the question AGAIN (in case you missed a word or misunderstood the question meaning the first time). Select the correct answer(s).

If you misread the question and don't read all the answers, you may jump on what you think is the correct answer -- but it's to the wrong question.

Other standard pre-test advice is "Time Management."

Cisco doesn't tell you how many SIMs you'll get, but you shouldn't spend more than 10 minutes per SIM. If you can't get it in 10 minutes -- hopefully you tried something and might get partial credit -- cut your losses and move on. If you struggle with the SIMs you probably didn't do enough hands on lab practice. And even if you somehow manage to puzzle out the answer is 15 or 20 minutes, you've just taken away time from the "easier questions" -- and to be honest, I doubt someone who "needs" 20 minutes to do a SIM would get it right. icon_rolleyes.gif

Then there's also the "relax" advice. Most of us realize that probably won't happen, but we've got say it. And it's better than saying "you're gonna be nervous as heck before and maybe even DURING your first Cisco exam."

I should probably collect some of the old pre-exam advice posts from the last minute advice threads and add them to the FAQ. Just did a search on "read all the answers" and my user name in the Cisco forums -- there are a lot of hits. icon_lol.gif
    Good Luck icon_thumright.gif
  • irishpunkirishpunk Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you'll get it this time

take care,
    Sean
    We should be getting the results soon, he is either doing the deed, or has already done it!
  • Meman5150Meman5150 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ...I can't believe there is no reply yet! I want to know.
  • irishpunkirishpunk Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The suspense is killing me
    Okay test got cancel today because of the dam blizzard we got here on East Coast. I had to reschedule for tommorow at 11:00 am EST. I will keep you all up to date as soon as I get home.
  • rszpanderferrszpanderfer Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    haha the suspense is better than what I've seen on TV.

I can't wait to find out what happens next!
    Passed on 2/20: Network+, Score - 840
    Next: Security+ and Server+