Windows Server 2008 vs Novell.

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all,

I'm still trying to compile a list for pro's and con's to switch over to Windows.

I have to write a decent letter and a list for my boss to prove that the switch from Novell is definitely worth it.

Can anyone throw in any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jamie
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    Hello all,

I'm still trying to compile a list for pro's and con's to switch over to Windows.

People are still using Novell? In the last 10 years the only time I've ever touched it was on migrations off it and still that's been about 4 years.

I'd start with cost. I remember Novell being quite expensive.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    People are still using Novell?

I'd start with cost.

Yeh we're still using it.

It's quite expensive, but so is Microsoft. We're a school district running 27 schools and over 70 servers.

Moving over to Microsoft we will probably eliminate over 50 servers.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Compare to the AD domain i set up for the school district I worked at which was 3 DCs and 4 branch office RODCs for nearly 90 schools. And none of them ever worked above an idle.

I can give you a lot of insight regarding an AD deployment a school district ranking in the top 100 largest districts in the country. PM me if you want to discuss it further.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How would that switch impact the users? Don't forget the costs of having to retrain and deal with hiccups along the way.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    As Dynamik hinted, also don't forget the learning curve for technical staff who currently manage Novell. And keep in mind 'resistance to change'.