Options

83-640

malunamaluna Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I've started my studies for 83-640 exam and 83-640 it's supposed to be my first microsoft certification. icon_surprised.gif

I bought 70-640 training kit and I am using windows 2008 servers installed in a virtual machine in order to perform all the exercises proposed in the kit.

I have read that part of 83-640 exam will be based in lab. Is training kit enough to be prepared for the lab part of the exam ?

what about hyper-V ? How can I get prepared to answer questions about it in the exam ?

cheers

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    The 70-640 book and material are all you need to pass this exam, as long as you get hands-on practice with the OS. The labs have you perform real tasks, so you have to be familiar with not only what they are asking you to do, but how and where to perform said task.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    The 83-640 exam has 2 parts to it. The first section is a lab section which requires you to complete 2 labs. You will be given a set of tasks to complete. You get an hour for each lab.
    You then get a written part which has multiple choice, drag drop etc...(the standard stuff). You get 60 mins for this part.

Like crrussell3 said, you will need hands on experience so setting up a lab and doing the exercises in the book is advisable. If you want to fork out the money, you can get the transcender or selftest 83-640 exam which will actually give you questions in a lab based scenario which mirror the real thing. I found this to be quite helpful just to know that i was completing tasks correctly.

In general, i didn't think the lab section was that difficult.
  • Options
    What about hyper-V, how did you get get prepared for ?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-V? I didnt get any questions on it, even if it's in the objectives list, you shouldnt expect more than a couple of questions.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To add, the lab section isnt hard at all. Free points dude.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    maluna wrote: »

MS seems to be chucking a hyper-v objective on a lot of these exams prep guides. The only exams you would need to know anything in depth about hyper-v are 70-643, 70-646 or 70-647. I didn't get any questions on hyper-v on 83-640 or 70-642 even tho they are mentioned in the exam objectives.

I would imagine that MS expects you to know that hyper-v exists and there are certain server roles that are good candidates to be virtualized. I wouldn't worry about it if i was you for this exam or even bother looking into it unless you plan on doing any of those other exams i mentioned.
  • Options
    alokin123 wrote: »
    MS seems to be chucking a hyper-v objective on a lot of these exams prep guides. The only exams you would need to know anything in depth about hyper-v are 70-643, 70-646 or 70-647. I didn't get any questions on hyper-v on 83-640 or 70-642 even tho they are mentioned in the exam objectives.

I would imagine that MS expects you to know that hyper-v exists and there are certain server roles that are good candidates to be virtualized. I wouldn't worry about it if i was you for this exam or even bother looking into it unless you plan on doing any of those other exams i mentioned.

83-640 will be my first microsoft exam and I do plan to take 83-640 or 70-642, not sure yet. Last time I play with microsoft was in 2002 (bit rusty) since then I moved to management side. Actually looking for a work opportunity in a new country I feel that it's time to get updated.

tks
  • Options
    topper24501topper24501 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    maluna wrote: »

I was worried about hyper-v questions also before I took the exam but I didn't see any hyper-v question on the test. Nor did any of my co-workers see any hyper-v on their exams.

I did all of the labs in the book and the labs on the test was easy b/c of that.

Make sure you have confident knowledge DNS, GPO's, CAs, Schema, AD users and computers, sites and services, ntdsutil.

Measureup questions are not that great to me. Try to find some other questions. Just do a search in the forum, I know someone asked about a good set of questions for the 83-640(70-640) . After I heard that measureup questions were horrible compared to the exam I focused more on the labs, cbt nuggets, and used the resources here on this site(which is really helpful).

Before you go on to the next chapter, make sure you have a good understanding of what you learned. it may take going over the chapter a couple of times and watching the cbt nuggets more than once.

Also, If you can get the cbt nuggets, they are really good and better than trainsignal to me.

Good Luck
    Network+ CE
    Security+ CE
    MCITP: SA
    OCP - Solaris 10
    CISSP
  • Options
    I was worried about hyper-v questions also before I took the exam but I didn't see any hyper-v question on the test. Nor did any of my co-workers see any hyper-v on their exams.

I did all of the labs in the book and the labs on the test was easy b/c of that.

Make sure you have confident knowledge DNS, GPO's, CAs, Schema, AD users and computers, sites and services, ntdsutil.

Measureup questions are not that great to me. Try to find some other questions. Just do a search in the forum, I know someone asked about a good set of questions for the 83-640(70-640) . After I heard that measureup questions were horrible compared to the exam I focused more on the labs, cbt nuggets, and used the resources here on this site(which is really helpful).

Before you go on to the next chapter, make sure you have a good understanding of what you learned. it may take going over the chapter a couple of times and watching the cbt nuggets more than once.

Also, If you can get the cbt nuggets, they are really good and better than trainsignal to me.

Good Luck

That was a nice advise !

Thank you very much !icon_study.gif