Options

The Truth About Certification Exams

Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
Microsoft will be holding a Live Meeting event to discuss this topic. It sounds interesting. Supposedly they will discuss how they determine what questions to ask on the exams, and how they set the passing score. Unforunately I won't be able to view the event. Does anyone know if they will have it archived for later viewing?

The Truth about Certification Exams
Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I want to know if you get partial credit in simulations.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This meeting is on now, if anyone is interested
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I attended the event last night which was a replay of the earlier session. If you pay attention to some of the topics on TE or you read the Born to Learn blog you probably already know what was covered in the session. However, there were a couple of intersting pieces I thought I would share.

The only approved practice test vendors are MeasureUp and SelfTest software which is why they are linked on the exam prep guides over on MS Learning. No mention of Transcender at all, even though opinion seems to be they are the best. Could just be a licensing thing, who knows.

700 does not equal 70%. Questions are weighted and the scores are normalized so there is consistency across exams and versions of exams. The 700 mark on some exams may be as low as 50% or as high as 80% correct answers. The scoring graph at the end is only an estimate and has no direct relation to the number of questions answered correctly on any given section.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Claymoore wrote: »
    The only approved practice test vendors are MeasureUp and SelfTest software which is why they are linked on the exam prep guides over on MS Learning. No mention of Transcender at all, even though opinion seems to be they are the best. Could just be a licensing thing, who knows.

Transcender and SelfTest are both owned by Kaplan IT Learning so I imagine it is a licensing issue. Transcender has the strong brand, SelfTest is relatively unknown... Why have both as approved vendors when Transcender is so strong by itself? I have found the question quality to be simalar for both.
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    I wish I would have seen this earlier.

If anybody knows where I can catch a replay, I'd really appreciate it!
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA