DNS config for Realm Trust

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
Having trouble find info on this. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to configure DNS to allow a realm trust between 2x Win2k mixed mode domains.

This is to cater for part of an ILM implementation. We can't use any sort of other domain trust, nor can we raise the FFLs.

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's done in Active Directory Domains and Trusts, create a new trust and follow the wizard for Realm trust.

If they are both Winodws domains why can't you use standard domain trusts? Realm trusts are for creating trust relationships between 2k3/2k8 domains and non-Windows Kerberos domains (like Sun DSEE or Novell eDirectory).
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I know how to make trust; it's the DNS configuration that I need to understand to ensure it runs smoothly as it's in another department's domain and I can't mess around.

The domains are in different forests. Given the options, a realm trust seems the only solution so far.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should be able to use a secondary zone, stub, or conditional forwarder. Just depends on your needs. The trust should work as long as you get resolution working for that domain.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Any of dynamik's suggestions would work fine, with a stub being my preference unless there is a great deal of communication between them.

Why would you not use domain<->domain trusts between each of the domains in the opposing forests?