Options

How much is the CCNA worth?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
This question is a bit in the abstract and I know that it’s going to be worth different things to different people. Of you guys who have your CCNA, if you could attach a monetary value to it, how much would you say the CCNA is worth?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Thats not something very easy to answer. I'd say $150 right now which is what I paid for it. It helped me get my first job after the military which paid a little over $50k so I guess maybe that much at the time. I did have a few years of experience under my belt at the time also and I'm sure that helped.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the CCNA certification last December (December 14, 2009). I am currently working for a state government agency in Kentucky. Passing the CCNA certification has not put one extra penny in my pocket. Kentucky state government is currently in a budget deficit and it's projected to stay that way for the next two years. I send out resumes about every day looking for a different job, but so far I've had no interviews. The economy is terrible right now. I'm hoping that my hard work passing the CCNA will someday pay off for me. I couldn't really put a monetary value on it. I'm still glad I took the exam, and I'm sure it will pay off eventually. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from taking the CCNA exam, just don't expect an instant job offer or a big promotion once you get the certification. In this economy it just ain't gonna happen! To those who are thinking of taking the exam, I will give you this advice. The exam is not easy, but it is fair. If you study hard and know the material you will pass. I took the two exam route, and I honestly couldn't say which exam was harder. Your time on the exam and your nervousness are your biggest enemies. Don't let the clock get you. I used the Odom Cisco Press books, CBT Nuggets, and Train Signal for my studies, as well as Cisco Packet Tracer. Hope this helps!
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not exactly sure what you mean , but if your talking about salary wise, it depends on experience. For startes with no experience and the Cert i would say low 40s to mid 45k. For experienced users with 1 to 2 years id say 45k to 55k.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Not exactly sure what you mean

It's an ambiguous question really. It’s suppose to mean different things to different people and that’s what I was trying to get.

The purposes of my asking was to determine what a fair amount of money is to sink into testing materials. I mean does it really make sense to sink $1000 or more into testing materials only have no impact on your overall career?

I was hoping it would be a prompt to everyone else to really qualify just what are all these certification tests are really worth? In terms of salary, job advancement, doors opened, experience and knowledge gained, etc?

Is that not a question worth asking?
  • Options
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    It's an ambiguous question really. It’s suppose to mean different things to different people and that’s what I was trying to get.

The purposes of my asking was to determine what a fair amount of money is to sink into testing materials. I mean does it really make sense to sink $1000 or more into testing materials only have no impact on your overall career?

I was hoping it would be a prompt to everyone else to really qualify just what are all these certification tests are really worth? In terms of salary, job advancement, doors opened, experience and knowledge gained, etc?

Well, this is a certification forum so of course everyone here is going to think the cost is worth it. Not a very diverse set of opinions here on that subject.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The CCNA could be considered the "cost of doing business" if you want a job that might require the CCNA knowledge and skills. The CCNA helps to get your resume pulled from a pile and maybe get an interview -- but the rest is up to you.

A CCNA who can't remember anything from the the exam topic list (or didn't really learn it in the first place) may get an interview (or a call for a technical phone interview) -- but they won't necessarily get the job (or have the knowledge & skills to to the job)

Someone with all the knowledge and skills (and then some) from the CCNA exam topic list AND experience, but NO CCNA, may not ever get their resume read because they didn't have the "CCNA keyword" to get their resume pulled from the pile.

In the first case, the CCNA is worthless.

And in the 2nd case lack of the CCNA could have "cost" them an interview which could have gotten them the job they were qualified for -- except for lack of a piece of paper.

But to put it in perspective and give you a hard dollar figure -- If I go into Starbucks and show them my CCNA Wallet Card and give them $2.25, they will give me a big cup of coffee.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NevinsNevins Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's completely dependent on who is hiring you. Some hiring managers could care less and I've been outright told that. On the other hand I've had a human resource manager from a I.T. firm outright tell me that CCNA = $5,000 on to a salary. (but this was a firm that was very highly focused on certifications)
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□

It totally is, i never had a problem with your question. I was just unsure of what you meant in order for me to provide you better details.

Any investment in your career should be a positive in my opinion. Do you need to spend 1000 on a CCNA. My answer would be no. IF you bought books, video training dvds, two or three used routers and 2 switches, i dont think you can run up a thousand. Unless you took a course which most run for 1000 plus, then yeah i can see the expenses being that high.

Remember Cisco is a career choice, if your going down that path i would suggest achieving one of the cisco professional certification paths. A CCNA in any technology for cisco is considered entry level and most llikely will get your foot in the door. However for career purposes try to finish with a professional level certification as it will solidify your skills even further, and yes spending 1000 or more is highly recommended for any professional level cert. The return salary is very worth it, at least at the minumum you can get a job for 60k and above. This all depends on your experience, but i believe at least any cisco professional level cert should net you at least 60k minumum. There are many people with families that wish they earned 60k, so i am humbled and i believe 60k is living comfortably.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    It's worth a dollar an hour at my workplace = about 2100 a year.

On the down side my Avaya cert which I already have is also worth $1hr and they don't add up but I'm going to get it anyways.

Who knows it may never amount to a heck of a lot more than an extra line on my resume or it may make the difference between me or someone else getting a promotion. Also if I should find myself out of work I would want every edge I could get.
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    Knowledge is priceless.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA is worth the same as your experience.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This question is a bit in the abstract and I know that it’s going to be worth different things to different people. Of you guys who have your CCNA, if you could attach a monetary value to it, how much would you say the CCNA is worth?

Like others have said, it is all relative. For me, It has been worth the salary at my last job (for 4 months) and 1 year of college classes (ccna 1-4) in my networking degree so it was worth it. As far as what it will mean for you, it could vary greatly. I would say get it (if that what this is all about) if you want to know networking a little better or if you work with cisco gear (or have a desire to) or want to pad you resume.

I spent about 700 dollars total for my NA and I got my moneys worth.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How much is getting your name in the pool for an entry level job worth?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Remember Cisco is a career choice,

Not exactly. See we all see the CCNA as being something different than say MCP, but at least on the interview side and some jobs side it's not. This does not appear to be isolated to SMB's either.

I have a job right now and things work the way they're suppose to work, at least as far as I've been told. We have a Network Admin, he does the cisco. I'm the Sys Admin, I do the windows. When I'm lucky he let's me do the cisco or he shows me new tricks and teaches me things.

In the real world however, if I had a dollar for every MS Systems Admin job that had the *Must have CCNA* requirement or Sys Admin job intervies where they expect me to be proficient on at least a PIX, nevermind that runs a slightly different IOS, than I'd have had plenty to pay for this test and all the course classes in the world. (ok slight exaggeration, but just slight.)

I never really wanted to have anything to do with Cisco, but as I have gotten older I feel that I should be at least basic to moderately familiar with basic equipment. Still when interviewing the three certs literally everyone has asked me since moving to Philly were

Do you have your
    A+
    MCSE
    CCNA
  • Options
    DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275

CCNA without experience I would have to say is worth 30-40k. IF you actually get the job! Without experience its gonna be hard to get the job!

CCNA with experience you will make anywhere from 40-60k. DOE! Sr level your gonna be hittin 55-60k. Anymore than that, you need to upgrade to the CCNP and get some other complimentary certifications!
  • Options
    hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    Potential employee's will obviously have an eye out for paticular certification's, when it come's to short listing people's CV's those without will probably get left out, especially with no previous experience, so a combination of both in the long run is the best way.

so far it's pricless, knowledge is power ;) i love learning this stuff!

mind you i did put off icnd2 for another 2 weeks because id rather have the money for other thing's right now.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • Options
    uniquegeekuniquegeek Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ... Still when interviewing the three certs literally everyone has asked me since moving to Philly were

Do you have your
    A+
    MCSE
    CCNA

Oh, good, the program I'm taking right now covers all three. University is very nice and all that, but actual skills from the college are even better!
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    uniquegeek wrote: »
    Oh, good, the program I'm taking right now covers all three. University is very nice and all that, but actual skills from the college are even better!

Which program is this? What is your major? Most universities will guide you on a track to enable you to follow a career path suited to a certain type of distributors. Namely, Cisco and Microsoft.

In my experience, the paths college's put you in will relate to the field you are in. So the odds of you getting CCNA, A+, and MCSE (Which is quite the range of certifications) from 120 credits AND your normal major seems a little difficult to achieve.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    What was learning to peddel his 1st bike worth to lance armstrong. Looking back I would say priceless or you could say worthless it matteres what you do with it. I didn't take it yet, started studing for my ICND1 1st of this month even though I started looking at stuff late last year. My plan is to have my ccvp by 2011, then maybe beyond. and that will be worth something. I HOPE!!!!
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • Options
    moses.mahembemoses.mahembe Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are these $40k s or $50k s Monthly or Annually Salaries Sir?
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Required Items for Passing CCNA

1) CBT Nuggets Video Course. $150
    2) Cisco OCG Books $80 Lammle CCNA $50, CCNA Portable Command Line Guide $32
    3) Packet Tracer *Free, Just Google it*
    4) GNS3 *Free* Just Google the IOS images
    5) About 300 hrs of Lab and Study Time
    6) Good Test Engine $100

CCNA with no experience $35k
    CCNA working Help Desk/Desktop support $42k
    CCNA working Tier 1 NOC $45-50k
    CCNA working Tier 2 NOC $50-60k
    CCNP with 3 years experience $60K
    CCNP with 5 years experience $75k+
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    If you've found a $50k a month job then point me in that direction.
  • Options
    siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    Required Items for Passing CCNA

1) CBT Nuggets Video Course. $150
    2) Cisco OCG Books $80 Lammle CCNA $50, CCNA Portable Command Line Guide $32
    3) Packet Tracer *Free, Just Google it*
    4) GNS3 *Free* Just Google the IOS images
    5) About 300 hrs of Lab and Study Time
    6) Good Test Engine $100

CCNA with no experience $35k
    CCNA working Help Desk/Desktop support $42k
    CCNA working Tier 1 NOC $45-50k
    CCNA working Tier 2 NOC $50-60k
    CCNP with 3 years experience $60K
    CCNP with 5 years experience $75k+

Very accurate Honda. I'm at the CCNA working Help Desk tier at about $42k.
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching